Chapter 11

"Is this all it is to you?" Zoey blurted out. "Some kind of game? Why do you care what Zander wants with her anyways? How are you even so sure what he wants?"

Alex turned back around picking me up. "You don't know anything Zoey. You're just one of Zander's pawns. He's going to throw you out...just like he did me." He gritted his teeth. "So don't even criticize me on something you don't even understand! And don't pretend like you know Zander and his motives when clearly you don't."

I stared at the blood on the back of my hand. More tears rolled down my cheeks. What do I even make of this? My body won't stop shaking, and my mind is a mess. I'm so confused...my head is telling me I'm afraid, afraid of what Alex has become, what he is and yet, my heart...

"Zoey...I'm warning you now, get out while you still can." And without wasting another second, both Alex and I disappeared from the school grounds. The next second, we were somewhere dark. The inside was freezing with no windows, only cracks throughout the walls emitting some light. I could only guess that he didn't want me to see him like this, but, I had already seen what could be unseen.

Alex set me down on the cold hard ground throwing his dark hoodie over my shoulders. I shuddered when it made contact with my skin, keeping my head down. We both sat there without uttering a single word. Sitting in silence only made me want to break down even more. Seeing images of him as a killer was one thing, but this...

"Serine..." Breaking the silence, Alex murmured. "I-"

"Please," I cut him off as my voice broke. "Please don't, not now..." I couldn't hold the tears in any longer. They forced their way through, leaving me helpless to stop them from falling. I buried my face in my knees as hopes that Alex wouldn't see my face. Even now, I only care about what he thinks.

He wrapped his masculine arm around my shoulders and pulled me close. Right now, I was too lost to be confused, and I just let him embrace me. At times like these, I always hated being alone. In the end, I've always bee. Alone aside from having Caden around. But for the first time I wasn't with him, but I wasn't alone either.

Even though I know what he is, I just can't stand the thought of losing him right now, or ever. Even now, I don't care that he's a demon, a monster. I want to be with him.

**

I started calming down as my tears ran out. My eyes were completely dry causing them to burn. I watched as Alex stood to his feet. "I need some air."

"Wait!" I grabbed the bottom of his shirt stopping him from leaving. "Talk to me. What happened out there?" My voice sounded so desperate...it was pathetic! But, I had to know. Despite cutting him off earlier, I felt I've calmed down enough to hear him speak now.

He gave me a sincere, saddened look. "Serine..."

"Please! I have to know!" I tugged on his shirt a little, causing it to stretch.

He was quiet for a moment, frozen even. In the end, he gave in and sat next to me. "Where should I begin?"

"Who were those two? And how do you know them?" I suggested. Not exactly what I had in mind in that moment, but might as well start from there.

"That was Julia and Zoey. Zoey is Zander's sister, where as Julia is...was, her significant other." He almost sounded sorry when he said that. "Zander and Zoey weren't all that close. Actually, I was probably more like a brother to her than he was. Zander never really was one to be sentimental. Coming from a demon, that's saying a lot, even though unlike Zander, I was actually human once."

My eyes narrowed a bit. "So, Zander is..."

"A full blooded demon, yes. To be honest, I don't even remember how I became a demon, but as I mentioned before I do remember what it's like being a human."

"Is that why you act more human like?"

He nodded. "As far as I know, yes." Alex changed subject again. "Anyways, as to how Zander convinced those two to follow his every command is beyond me. Well, aside from the obvious that he is king. I can only guess he's even more formidable now than before. And even just saying no to him, he surely wouldn't stand for that."

I thought about the images I saw of him. In each one, he always smiled, though it was never with good intentions. Hesitating, I asked him anyway. "What kind of person is Zander? Not considering his demon nature...I mean?"

Alex laughed a little and leaned back on his arms. "Is that supposed to be a trick question?"

"No, I just-"

"I'm kidding." Cutting me off, the smile on his face disappeared. "I understood what you meant. Thinking back though, Zander hasn't actually changed one bit, except maybe getting stronger and more manipulative. Even when we first met, he was always scheming something. He actually secretly hated me, but I already knew. Zander wanted everything I had that he didn't only because that would make him better than me." He stopped for a moment and looked over at me. Alex opened his mouth to continue, and...nothing.

"Alex?" I swallowed hard unsure of what to say, or even think. Why the sudden pause?

He inhaled deeply, and exhaled. Alex started again. "Sorry, I was just thinking...if I had never told him about my dreams, he would never have even known you existed." He shook his head. "Actually, he probably wouldn't have even became the king of hell in the first place. He was so determined to take you from me...the one thing I had that he didn't. As a resort, Zander lost his mind, and killed the previous king."

His voice was beginning to break with each word he said. It tore my heart in two just seeing him this way. One minute he makes me completely terrified and the next, I just want to embrace him. Alex bit his lip, and he shut his eyes tight. A sudden stream came sailing down from his eye. I felt flushed with my heart pounding louder than ever before. I could tell that he was trying to hide his tears...he had so much pain bottled up inside, and even I don't even know the half of it. But seeing him this way, it proved to me that not only was he human once before, but he still has a human heart.

I wrapped my arms tightly around him. This was all that I could do for him. He sat completely still, surprised.

"S-Serine...why-" He stuttered as I held him tighter.

"I don't want to see you cry..." I blurted out. "I can't...I just couldn't bare it!"

He grew silent, not bothering to say another word. Instead, he wrapped his arms around me, bringing the two of us closer together. I still had so many questions, so much I didn't understand. For now, I decided that I would be here for him, even if this was all I could do.