Chapter 60

What was that all about? Does he really resent Alex that much? And why should it matter to him how I feel about him anyways? I started to say something in return, but Alex started waking up. He groaned as he lifted his head.

Averting my attention, I looked over at Alex. "Hey, sleepyhead." I joked with a smile on my face.

"Sleepyhead? Really?" I shrugged, and he stretched his arms. "How long have you been up?"

"Not long."

Alex looked over at Jake, giving him a small scowl. They both looked at each other with anger in their eyes. What happened between the two? Jake said nothing happened earlier, but that was obviously a lie...I was kind of scared to ask again. They'd both probably just avoid it anyways. Looking down, my mind raced. Should I even ask? I feel like it's that time before all over again. As much as I want to know..

"Hey, earth to Serine." I blinked a few times before realizing Alex had been snapping his fingers in front of my face. "What is it?"

"It's nothing, just thinking to myself.." Rather than asking what happened, my mind took a different approach. "Does the name, Zeke, ring a bell?"

They both looked at me with confusion. "Where is this coming from?" Alex took a seat at the edge of the bed.

"The dream I had..." I wasn't sure if I should explain the whole thing now or not. "The name Zeke popped up, so I was just curious."

"I knew a guy named Zeke back in middle school." Jake blurted out. "Though he was a real weirdo."

I couldn't help but laugh a little. "You're one to talk."

"Well, weirder that me. Seriously, he was kind of a loon." He sat down just staring at the ceiling. "He left before reaching high school though, so I can't say I know much about the guy, but of course there's no way you'd be dreaming of a guy you don't even know."

Alex instantly stood to his feet heading for the door. It was pretty obvious he was getting annoyed.. "I'll be back, I'm going to go see when you can be released." Before walking out, he gave Jake another nasty look. Now it was really bothering me not knowing.

Jake looked away, avoiding contact. Unable to hold back anymore, I questioned him. "Ok, seriously. What happened between you two? And don't say it was nothing again, because it obviously isn't."

"Why don't you just ask him, he is your boyfriend after all." Even if I did, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't tell me a thing either.. "Besides, it's none of your damn business what happened, so just stay out of it."

I should've known he wouldn't tell me. Why bother? "Then answer me this. If you two are on such bad terms, why come back?" Come to think of it, why is he still around? Not that it really bothers me, but I would've figured after all that's happened, he would've left by now.

"There's no reason for it, I just came back." His eyes fixed on me with such a cold stare. "Besides, is it really so bad for someone to visit another person in the hospital?"

"That's not what I meant. I just figured...you probably would've already left by now."

A snicker came from his direction. "I see. It's clear that you really don't know a damn thing, or it's safe to say that you just don't want me here."

I waved my hands in front of me. "That's not it at all." We sat in silence for a while. I would glance over at him and back at the bed ever so often. Without really thinking, I blurted out. "Why do you resent him so much?"

"Man, you really are annoying."

"Why can't you just ans-"

"Dammit! Would you just stop already?" He jumped out of the chair, slamming his hand on the bed putting us face to face. Goosebumps spread though my body. "You really want to know? Fine! Yes, he and I fought, and yes, I resent him. I hate him to his very core! He asked me why I bothered hanging around, and it just went all down hill from there. You want to know the story, ask him that yourself. And as for why I came back, well I just wanted to see you again." My eyes shot wide open and he pulled away. He wanted to see me? Could that be his way of saying that, he likes me? No...that's not it, is it?

Letting out a sigh, he continued. "Not that it matters, but just seeing you with him makes me sick. A human and a demon. That's just not natural."

Holding my wounded hand tightly, I began thinking out loud. "You're right...it's not natural for a human and a demon to be together. It's really just common sense, right?" I heard the sound of the door opening, but I kept running my mouth as if nothing changed. "Even so...Alex was once human himself. He wasn't born a demon and he didn't choose to become one either. In the beginning, I couldn't understand my own thoughts about him. He'd terrify me one minute and the next make my heart race like there's no end." It's been a while since he's made me feel that way though, but still.. "After a while, I realized...it wasn't his demon nature I fell in love with, but with the human heart that beats inside him."