Chapter 18

They both started calming down, and Alek fell to the floor. "I haven't laughed like that since we were kids."

"You and me both."

"Why don't you get us something to drink?" Alek suggested.

"Alright." Alex stood and looked back at me with a smile. "I'll be right back." He faced Alek again giving him a glare.

I nodded and smiled in return. Watching him as he left, somehow I began feeling nervous. Turning my eyes, I noticed Alek staring at me with an amused expression. "W-what is it?" I stuttered.

His eyes gleamed. "I don't believe I ever caught your name." Resting his head on his hands, he waited for a reply.

"Right. It's Serine."

"Serine, what a unique name. Tell me, what's your relationship with Alex?"

R-relationship!? My heart suddenly dropped as my face grew flushed. What is our relationship, exactly? Looking down, I hid my face. "I-I'm not sure exactly..."

"Oh?" His voice sounded even more intrigued. I glanced up, and saw his face straight in front of mine causing me jump a little. "Do you love him?" The smile on his face dropped, sending a shock down my spine.

My eyes widened. I began to open my mouth only to end up closing it as it quivered. Bringing my hand up, I placed the back of it against my mouth to hide the quiver. I averted my eyes. Where did that even come from?

Alek laughed falling back to the floor. "I was only joking around! Sorry, I didn't think you'd take that so seriously." I bit my lip hiding behind my hand. That was supposed to be a joke? "But, considering your reaction, I'd say you really do love him." Looking over at him, he leaned back with his arms supporting him. "It makes me wonder."

"Wonder what?" Curious, I asked removing my hand from my mouth.

He looked up at the ceiling so intently. "How he's changed. He was never the type to actually fall for someone. But watching him today, I can tell with one glance that he really has." Leaning forward he looked at me. "Personally, I never thought I'd see the day when a human would fall for a demon, let alone the other way around. But watching you two, it surely has opened my eyes."

My face burned even hotter. In a way, it made me touched hearing him say that, but it also surprised me, reminded me of myself. I never thought I would ever fall for someone, that the day would never come. But here I am...actually in love with someone, a demon.

"Though to be honest," Alek started again. "I don't think he would simply admit it so easily."

The door opened, and Alex walked in. "Sorry it took so long, I couldn't find a third cup." He handed Alek and I each a glass taking a drink from his.

I stared at my reflection in the water and thought about what Alek said. Could it have also been possible...that he fell in love with me the same way I fell for him?

"So, what were you talking about?" Alex blurted, and my hand twitched.

"I only asked for her name, seeing as how you wouldn't introduce us." My head shot up looking up at Alek. He winked at me. My guess was that our little chat was going to be our little secret. My head turned to Alex, and he was just standing there sipping the water from his cup. He looked down at me and back at Alek.

"I don't believe you."

Alek laughed again as he stood to his feet. "You caught me." My stomach began to feel queazy. I didn't like where this was heading. "You want to know what we were talking about? Fine." He walked over and rested his arm on his shoulder. Giving me a quick smile, I widened my eyes again. He wouldn't...

"You're in love with Serine, aren't you?" Both Alex and I coughed leaving Alek laughing even more. I covered my face hiding my burst of embarrassment. I didn't expect him to be so straightforward like that.

"Why would you even suggest that?" Alex blurted out. We simultaneously looked at each other only to revert our eyes again.

Alek patted him on the back. "I knew you'd react that way! You gave me a good laugh."

Alex punched him in the shoulder. "That's not funny!" I clenched my fists closing my eyes.

"Oh but it is, I mean look at you two! Neither of you can even look each other in the eye." Alek laughed again. Is he seriously just having fun with this? Standing to my feet, I started walking past them.

"Serine," Alex grabbed my arm holding me back. "Wait-"

"No!" Pulling my arm away, "Both of you think this is some kind of joke!" My voice began to break. I couldn't break down in front of them...in front of Alex again...without another word, I ran out the door. I heard Alex call my name once more, but I didn't stop.

When I reached the front door, Alex grabbed a hold of my arm turning my body to face him. Before I could protest, he placed his hands on my cheeks holding my head in place so that he could connect our lips. All the tension in my body faded away. The tears were already in play spreading down my cheeks and onto his hands. I wanted to pull away, to storm out...but I just couldn't bring myself too. He kissed me deeper and deeper, and I only did the same. I slowly brought my hand up to his, wrapping my fingers around his hand.

Slowly pulling away, he rested his forehead up against mine. He wiped the tears from my eyes yet again, and whispered. "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry.." His voice cracked, and I felt a drop of water fall to my cheek. Looking up, I saw tears form in the corner of his eyes. I tightened the grip on his hand as if I was never going to let go.

"Alex-" I started until I was cut off.

"I love you, Serine. I do." And he placed his lips against mine before I had a chance to reply. My heart raced like never before, overlapping itself. I brought my other hand up and started wiping the tears in his eye.

I pulled away looking him in his dark red eyes, and finally gave my response. "I love you too." He smiled wrapping his arms around me. I brought my arms up around his neck hugging him tighter than I ever have.

"Glad I could be of assistance." Alek came out from behind us. Alex pulled away and looked back at him.

"Assistance?"

Walking up to us, he put his hands around our shoulders. "You two finally professed ones love for each other. Glad to see my little brother finally become a man." Alek laughed. Alex didn't give a response. In a way, Alek was right. If he hadn't pushed us to the limit, I wouldn't have stormed off, and Alex wouldn't have followed after me.

"Well, I guess I'll be off then, leave you two lovebirds to it." Alek walked past us. "I'll come back and help out with whatever it is you're dealing with. Besides, you've still got your story to tell."

Alex gave a slight smile. "As annoying as you can be, I'm glad you're alive."

"That's my line." He saluted the two of us. "Well, be seeing you little bro, and a pleasure making your acquaintance, Serine." He took a small bow causing me laugh out loud. Alek disappeared without another word, and Alex took a hold of my hand.

"I should probably take you back to your brother."

I nodded. "Yea, he's probably worried." Glancing up at Alex, he gave me a quick kiss on my forehead

"Let's take the long way." He suggested.

My grip on his hand tightened, as my face turned red, and I smiled from ear to ear. "Nothing would make me happier."