Chapter 15

My eyes opened, dry and painful. I guess I cried too much causing them to burn. As I sat up, I looked around Alex's room. It was pretty small, so he didn't have much. All he had has was his bed and a clothes dresser right next to it. There was also a closet in front of the bed, but the door was shut. I didn't bother with it. For a demon, he was pretty clean...at least, as far as I could tell.

A knock sounded on the door followed by Alex's voice. "You awake?"

"Yea...just got up." I answered standing on my feet. He walked in carrying a glass of water.

"I figured you'd be thirsty." Handing me it, I took it and practically chugged it. The cool water soothed my throbbing throat. I didn't have anything to eat all day yesterday, nor anything to drink. My throat was as dry as the Sahara desert. Finishing the glass, I let out a huge sigh of relief. I felt so refreshed.

Alex just stared at me with a smile on his face. I couldn't tell at all what he was thinking. "What is it?" I asked out of sheer curiosity.

He shook his head. "It's nothing. By the way, I let Caden know that you were staying at my place. At first he was against it, but I told him that you just felt too sick to move, and since you were close by, I took you in." Leaning up against the wall, he crossed his arms. "I didn't think you wanted him to worry too much, so I just made something up."

"I see. Well, thanks...for doing that, I mean." I looked away feeling flushed yet again.

"Come on." He took my hand, leading me out the door. "I'm sure you must also be hungry." Somehow, I was surprised. I honestly wasn't expecting him to go all out for me, again, but I was wrong. At times, I almost forget that he's even a demon.

Walking into the kitchen, there was already a feast sitting on the table. A full and complete breakfast. Bacon and hash browns with eggs and pancakes. A side of toast with butter, even a glass of milk to go along with it. "Y-you made all this?"

"Yea. It wasn't that big of a deal. Anyone can cook. Yea, I'm not much of a cook, but doesn't mean I can't." He shrugged as if it was no big deal. Yea, not everyone can cook...I can barely make toast. "Well, dig in."

I nodded and took a seat. Devouring the food, I also savored eat bite. It felt like I haven't eaten in days! It was so fresh and warm, made me feel rejuvenated. Once I finished, I sat there for a minute, completely relaxed. "Thank you...again."

Taking the dishes away, he took them to the sink and started washing them. "I figured you at least needed something in your system." For some reason, I feel like he's only putting on an act for me considering what I had said yesterday. I pushed my lips together and started.

"Alex..."

"Yea?"

"Are you...still thinking about yesterday?" He went silent. I couldn't even hear the sound of the water hitting the dishes. The answer was clear. "If you-"

Interrupting me, he countered. "Don't. It doesn't matter what I think about it."

I stood up and faced him. He was staring down at the running water. It really was bothering him. I started again. "If you're worried about how I'll react by telling you, then-"

"Just drop it!" I heard the plate crash against the sink as he screamed storming past me. Letting out a disappointing sigh, I began feeling guilty, yet confused. Just by his expression yesterday, I could tell he wanted to know what happened. Alex even straight up asked me. But now...I don't even know what to make of it. Not long after, I heard a door slam from behind me. Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up...

**

I sat outside Alex's front door. The thought of walking home crossed my mind, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to leave. I wanted Alex to know what had happened, I don't know why though. My guess is because he's also involved, and also...I look forward to seeing you again, and, my dear friend Alex as well. Those words echoed inside my head. Even now, I'm still getting goosebumps, but at least I'm not as affected as I was yesterday. It's still painful to think about...maybe even harder to say out loud, but Alex deserves to know.

The door opened behind me, and I saw Alex hovering over me. He sat right next to me, our sides touching each other. "I'm sorry about exploding at you earlier."

Shaking my head, I replied. "It's fine, I kind of had it coming." Looking down, I decided not to mention it unless he asked.

"What made you come outside?" He questioned.

"Thought about walking home, but I ended up sitting here instead just thinking to myself." Again, he went silent for a while. I couldn't stand his silent treatments...they always drove me crazy! With him, I can never guess what he's thinking.

Alex finally gave a response. "I see." He scoffed as he changed the subject. "You were right."

"Right? About what?" I narrowed my eyes a bit looking over at him.

"I was worried. Though, I was even more worried yesterday. The way you broke down like that...I couldn't even imagine what Zander had done."

I looked away again. The expression on his face upset me. I just had to look away. "I decided that you should know...even if it does scare me just thinking about it, you deserve to know." I hesitated mentioning the last words he spoke, but I pushed through it. "Especially since he, uh...he stated your name, too." I could hear the sound of him gritting his teeth.

"What else did that bastard say?" Alex urged.

Taking a moment, I thought back to what he said. My body started to tense up and my throat began to dry up again. "The first thing he said was I finally found you and that it's only a matter of time." I stopped myself, trying to stay calm again. Breathing in and out, I started once again. "He said something about not being there personally...that he had to see me for himself. After that, he finished off with I look forward to seeing you again, and, my dear friend Alex as well."

Clenching his fists, Alex stood up. "He wasn't able to see you personally? What the hell does that supposed to mean? Though, I guess right now that's a good thing."

"That's the thing..." I began to choke on my words. Opening my mouth to speak, I started feeling Zander's hand cover my mouth again as if he were still here ordering me not to tell him.

Stepping in front of me, Alex squatted down and looked me in the eyes. "What do you mean?"

Pushing my lips together, I closed my eyes, imagining I was alone...that Zander wasn't there to stop me. Taking a deep breath, I finally forced out the words. "That's the thing I don't get..." My eyes began to form tears again. Dammit, not now! Before I would be unable to control my words, I spit them out. "He was there...I felt him, right behind me...I-I didn't see him, but he wrapped his arms around me...held me in place..."

Looking up at Alex, his eyes were wider than I've seen them. "How could he have done that and not have been there?" He stood to his feet and the his body began to emit that glowing red light again.

Seeing Alex's reaction, I just couldn't even put into words. "Alex..?"

"He's really going to such lengths just to have what he wants?"

"Alex?" I repeated his name in a whisper, and he grabbed my hand pulling me up. Taking me inside, he shut the door behind me locking it. "What-"

"That bastard is going to pay!" Alex yelled clenching his fists even tighter than before. I began to feel as if a new war had just begun, and I was the cause of it all.