Chapter 87

Serine's POV

**

I sat there, so fazed by his words. I had my mouth covered to hold in the sobs, but there was no stopping my tears. All this time, for years, I never knew a thing, thinking that Caden had the perfect life, a life I had wanted for so long. I've always looked up to him, looked up to his smiling face. Who would've ever though that behind his smiles was nothing but pain and misery?

"I...I never wanted to tell you any of this, but Juliana...Juliana said that you should know the truth." Caden hid his face away in shame, and his voice cracked. I could see tears falling from his eyes. "I'm so sorry, Serine...I never wanted you to hear any of this!"

This was the first time I had ever seen him cry, and it just broke my heart in two. How many times had he cried to himself without me ever even knowing? I went up and embraced him tightly, hiding away his tears from me. I could understand that he never wanted me to see them, making this time no different.

"I've been living a lie, Serine, and I was never there for you the way-"

"Don't say that!" I shouted out through my sobs. "You were always there for me...whether you knew it or not," I stopped for a moment trying to clear up my words. I pulled away so that I could look him straight in the eyes, teary or not, "you were always there for me."

He wiped away his tears with more still forming. Just before Caden could reply, another voice called out from behind. "Now that you know, it's time for you to go back." Turning around, Juliana stood a few feet away.

"No, I can't leave yet, I-"

"Serine, I'm sorry, but you have no say in the matter." She gave a saddened sigh as she approached us. "It's the way it has to be. That first time, I allowed as a request from Caden, this time, I enforced it as only a way for you to hear the truth."

Standing there, I had no words. Even if I did argue back, there's no way she'd listen. Pushing my lips together, Caden took a hold of my hand. "Caden..."

"It's alright. You should go back." He embraced me in his arms tightly like he never wanted to let me go. I did the same. Caden kissed the top of my head before pulling away. "One more thing...I want you to give Jake and Alex a message for me.."

"Caden, that's not-" Juliana started but Caden kept talking as if he didn't hear her.

"Tell Alex I said Thank you...for being by your side, and Jake..." His voice became detached, and he started over. "Tell Jake I said I'm sorry, for everything...and that even now, no matter what has happened...he will always be my best friend."

I nodded as I gave him a smile. "I'll tell them." Caden gave a small smile in return, giving me one last final hug. "I love you Caden."

"I love you too, Serine." His voice was quiet, as he began to fade from my arms. A final kiss was placed on my forehead before he completely vanished.