Chapter 20

**

Only a couple more hours remained before the dance. My stomach feels queazy all of a sudden. Man, I really want to just skip this whole ordeal, but it's too late now. I should probably start getting ready. If I start now, I won't have to be in such a rush later. As I pulled out my dress from the bag, a knock sounded at my door. "Come in."

"Hey, I see you're taking your sweet time getting ready." Caden pointed out.

"Well I was just starting to get ready." Leaning at the edge of my bed, I asked. "I see you aren't close to being ready yet either."

He laughed. "All it does is take me about five to ten minutes. Put on my tux and shoes, comb my hair and poof! I'm done."

"Lucky you." I pulled a strand of my hair in front of me. "My hairs going to be a pain to do considering the length of it."

"Want me to do it for you?"

"You know how style hair?"

Caden scoffed waving his hand. "No, I was just messing around. I'd probably ruin it."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Thanks anyways. I'll figure something out."

He nodded. "Then, I shall leave you to it." As soon as he walked out the door, I fell back on my bed. What am I going to do with my hair? I never thought I'd ask myself that question. I guess there's always a first for everything. Well, in any case, I really should start getting ready.

**

It was ten minutes to 8, the time when the doors would open for the dance. I stared at my reflection in the mirror, straightening my dress. It was long and silky, reaching all the way down to my ankles barely hovering over the silver heels I had bought. The color of it really matched my eyes, but with a darker shade of blue. A strap rested on my left shoulder leaving the other side strapless. I ran my fingers down the strap feeling the tiny beads that covered the surface.

As for my hair, I only straightened over it, parting my bangs to the left. Without leaving it too plain, I managed to do a waterfall braid which laid out from ear to ear. I didn't put much makeup on from the lack of materials I had, only a couples shades of eyeshadow to match the dress. Looking myself up and down, I began feeling insecure again. I may have looked beautiful on the outside, but on the inside, I felt as if nothing had changed.

The doorbell rang causing me to flinch. Must've been Alex. Caden had already left about half and hour ago. Always needing to be super early. My stomach began to flip even more times than before. "Coming." I called out as I walked to the front door. Opening it up, my heart took flight. Alex stood there, all dressed in black. His hair was long straightened, the back reaching down to his shoulders. I noticed his eyes widen as he looked me up and down. Scratching the back of my neck, I began to blush. "Shall we...get going?"

Alex shook his head, snapping out if his daze and nodded. "Yea, yea, definitely." He took my hand and lead me to the end of the driveway. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you, I must say you clean up quite well yourself." I replied wrapping my arms around his.

"I tried." He joked. We walked a little ways before he sent us about a block away from the doors. No one was around, so no one was there to see us appear out of nowhere.

**

Alex and I stood in the corner the entire time since the dance started. Just as I thought, it was pretty lame, and plus my feet were already killing me! Why did I even get heels? I guess all this really was to get me to dress up. Well, it worked, and all I really wanted to do was go back home.

The songs that played roared in my ears. I could hardly hear anything around me. As I looked over in Alex's direction, I saw a few girls dragging him away. The music was to loud for me to even notice. I realized he was trying to get away from them. Pushing my lips together, I started forward toward them. I took one step, and I was pulled back from behind. Unable to break free, I was pulled all the way backstage.

The sound decreased immensely to where my ears were no longer ringing. When I was let go, I started to run. Being in these heels though, I was slowed down and grabbed by the arm again. "Let go!" I turned back and saw Zoey standing right behind me. "I-it's you..."

"Don't worry, I'm not here to attack you, I'm here to warm you. You and Alex need to get out of here right now...mainly you." Zoey urged releasing my arm. She looked like a wreck, like she hadn't slept in days.

"Warn me? About what?" I asked loud enough for her to hear me.

Her expression grew more serious. "Look, I don't have time to explain. Believe me, I'm trying to help you. Find Alex and get out of here, now!" She took a step back, and a shadow instantly appeared behind her knocking her unconscious. My eyes widened as I gasped covering my mouth. What just happened? I looked down at her and back up at the shadow. My body began to tremble. This can't be...why here, why NOW!? I started backing away only to be stopped from behind. Just as I turned around, I found myself lying on the ground, a striking pain engulfed my head. I stared at Zoey's body and how it laid there, helpless. Just before my sight went blank, one of the shadows picked up her body just as another approached mine.