Chapter 84

After Alek's Appearance

**

"I'm home!" Serine called out walking though the door. I looked over at her as she walked into the kitchen.

"Hey. Are you feeling better?" I asked with a bit of sincerity in my voice. She looked alright, but I couldn't be sure...

"Better. Sorry I didn't check in or anything."

I scoffed as she let out a small laugh. "Alex told me the whole story." Repositioning myself, I stood straight up. "You know, I was thinking earlier. This is the most you've ever been out of the house besides school." I gave a small pause. "You've changed."

"I suppose I have." Serine hesitated, looking a bit worried. "But wait, you aren't mad?"

I snorted. "No. Why would I be mad?" Not really mad, more like surprised. "To be honest I'm glad to see you finally opening up to someone besides me, even though you haven't much lately." I nearly chocked on the last words, thinking about how she used to always open up to me. I walked up to her wrapping my arms around her. "Look, as your big brother it's my job to look after you when I can, and I know I haven't done of much of that." Pulling away again, I looked right into her big blue eyes. "I want to be here for you, but it's ok if you don't always come to me. As long as you have someone to open up to rather than keep it all to yourself. I'm happy." In reality, it really made me upset, but I couldn't tell her that.

She pushed her lips together. "Caden, I'm sorry. I never thought-"

I let out a laugh, trying to make this less emotional. "Serine, don't be sorry. I'm just letting you know how I feel, that's all. It's nothing to be sorry for."

"Alright." Nodding, she smiled in return. "I know I don't say this much...not enough actually, but, I love you Caden."

My eyes widened a bit. My heart started racing, so unexpectedly. It's been a while since I've heard her say those words. I narrowed my eyes again, smiling. "I love you too, Serine." Serine threw her arms tightly around me, and I couldn't help but do the same. I wanted to cry, it made me so happy, but I held them in. Looking back, I've never once let her see me cry, and I wasn't about to start.