Chapter 38

Serine's POV

**

My body felt so warm, so heated. It was so relaxing. I could stay like this forever. A tight grip was placed on my hand. What is this? Someone else's hand? It's so cold. I couldn't help but wrap my fingers around it. Just before I opened my eyes, a pair of lips were placed against mine. This feeling was so familiar. It sent butterflies through my whole body. Could this be...Alex?

Suddenly, the lips were pulled from mine, my hand left alone. Slowly opening my eyes, I noticed that the room had been empty. Was that all just my imagination just now? A blank dream? I couldn't tell. I groaned as I sat up. The pain in my back was still there, though not as bad as when it was first struck.

Looking over at the clock, it read 6:03. I guess I didn't get much sleep since I stayed up most of the night waiting for Alex. I wonder if he's alright. Standing to my feet, I headed towards the kitchen for some water. As I approached the door, I heard voices on the other side. They sounded far off, most likely coming from the living room.

"-ex, don't forget what I told you." This is, Alek's voice.

"I won't." And that's...Alex! He's back. Without wasting another second I swung the door open and ran out down the hall. Looking over, I saw Alex standing with Alek and Nikki. He's really here. It wasn't just my imagination. That really was him! As they all moved their heads in my direction, Nikki patted Alex on the back with a grin on her face. "Look who's finally awake."

As Alex turned his body, he opened his mouth to speak, but I had already ran up and wrapped my arms around him. "You're alright...you're really here!" Tears of joy and relief filled my eyes. I've never been so happy to see him before. It's as if that emptiness inside of me instantly became full again. The second half of me became one with me.

Such a tight embrace, I didn't want him to ever let go. "Serine, I-"

I interrupted him without meaning too. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry I yelled at you, that I said to leave me alone, to stay away! I didn't mean any of it! I didn't realize what I did at the time, when I ran off, I-"

"Idiot." Alex pushed my body away and looked me in the eyes. "I don't care about any of that." Leaning down, his lips met mine. It didn't last long before he pulled away again only to look back in my teary eyes. "I'm the one who should be apologizing not the other way around. You were suffering all this time, and I just-"

"You were suffering too." His eyes widened, surprised. "I could see it in your eyes. Even if you never looked right at me, I could see it. I know I'm not the only one, but it did hurt me when you avoided me...that you wouldn't even look me in the eye and tell me what was on your mind." I didn't feel angry towards him when I realized, only hurt. I wanted him to lean on me, for me to be here for him.

Alex pushed his lips together, and dropped his hands to his side. "I, had no idea." He averted his eyes again for a second, and looked back as he took a small breath. "Alek told you everything, right? About the chains?" I looked over at Alek, and he just looked away. Gazing back up at Alex, I nodded. "After he told me, I didn't know what to think. I felt like I was useless, that I couldn't do anything to save you. And just seeing you only made it harder, knowing that Zand-"

Bursting out, I ended up even surprising myself. "Stop it!" I lightly pounded his chest. "I don't want to hear that! Why..? Why does he always have to pop up everywhere?" Everything just ends up leading back to that monster! "I can't stand hearing his name...its hurts hearing just the sound of it."

I was wrapped tightly around again by Alex. He kissed the top of my head, and just held me. "I will free you from his grasp...even if it's the last thing I do." Taking a hold of his shirt, my fingers clenched. I didn't want to think of any possibility of losing him.

"I'd like to see you try." Zander's voice sounded from behind us, and I jumped out of my skin. As I turned around, both Alek and Nikki stepped in front of us.

"What the hell do you want?" Alek demanded.

Zander gave a chilling smirk. "Just wanted to drop by. You really surprised me when you hacked my arm off. Didn't think you had it in you." He looked passed the two and straight at Alex and I. "My, what a beautiful yet disgusting sight." Alex's grip around me got tighter, which only made Zander's smile grow wider. A sudden shock came from the chains on my wrists and neck caused me to shout out.

Alex's body tensed up, and he yelled out. "You bastard! What the hell did you do!?"

"I just activated the chains around her." His voice changed tone, more serious and technical. "Now, shove."

The chains shocked me again, causing my eyes to dilate. In an instant, my body shoved Alex away and I fell back to the floor. My body suddenly felt weak, I couldn't move.

Alex came to my side and held my body up. His eyes looked glassy, as if they were about to shatter.

"See how obedient she is?" Another shock sparked out of the chains, this time more painful than the last. I screeched from the pain as I took hold of Alex's arm. I could hear Zander tsk. "Looks like she still has much to learn." It's as if he sees me only as a pet. That's all he's ever seen me as.

"Nikki. Watch over Serine for me." Alex removed my hand from his arm and placed it over my chest. He laid me down gently. He's going to fight him, right here and now.

"But Alex-" Nikki started but was pushed aside.

"Just do it!" Without objection, she came running to my side. I forced my body to turn on its side, and used all my strength to push myself up. "Serine, don't push yourself." Nikki said as she rested her hand over mine.

Groaning, I force the words out. "I can't...just give in.." Nikki took a hold of my arms and helped me up to my feet.

Looking up, Alex and Alek stood side by side in front of Zander. Turning away, Zander waved. "I didnt come here to fight. Just came to kill some time."

"Then kill it fighting me!" Alex's voice was enraged. "I'm not letting you get away, dammit!" I wanted to shout out don't do it but I couldn't even manage to utter even a single letter at this point.

Facing back at Alex, Zander laughed. "That sounds promising, maybe another day. But first..." He disappeared and within less than a second reappeared in front of me and Nikki. Zander leaned over and whispered in my ear. "I've got something bigger planned for everyone, especially you, Alex's dear little princess." The moment he disappeared, the strain in my body vanished and I fell to my knees followed by a face plant into the ground.

"Serine!" Everyone shouted at once. I began to lose consciousness and everything began to fade around me. Even everyone's voices started getting softer, quieter. My eyes closed, the world dark. The last thing I remember is feeling the warmth of someone holding me close.