Chapter 24

The two crossed weapons, and the wind that was produced was enormous. I could feel it rub against my skin causing me to shiver. Looking down, I saw the blood on my hands with a background of blood on my dress. Clenching my fists, I shut my eyes tightly and held them to my chest.

Two arms wrapped around me...embracing me. "You're not alone." Alek whispered into my ear sending me reassurance. Tears still began falling from my eyes as I nodded. Opening then back up, my eyes were fixed on Alex. His body was so tense, his eyes showed such anger, resentment. It was terrifying just watching the two of them.

"Is that the best you got!?" Zander yelled out as he pushed the spear in front of him. Before he could reach Alex, he grabbed the end of his spear pulling it out of his hand while at the same time charging with his own sword. Taking hold of Alex's blade, Zander never lost that grin. He held out his hand thrusting them at Alex with his claws. At the last second, Alex dodged and counter attacked sending Zander plummeting straight into the ground. The ground shattered sending clumps of rock into the air. It felt as if a massive earthquake was in play, or better yet, a volcano of hell erupting.

With Alek's arms around me, he quickly took flight avoiding the aftermath of it. I screamed from the sudden lift. Instinctively I wrapped my arms around Alek in spite of my fear of falling. Looking down, I watched as the molten rocks slammed into the ground. "Damn, I didn't expect it to come all the way over here." Alek mumbled to himself as he watched Alex and Zander.

Turning my head, Alex threw Zander's spear behind him and began cutting through the air with his sword. He held it at his side aiming down straight at Zander. As Zander stood to his feet, Alex pierced straight through his body. The tip of the sword was sticking out of his back. Even though it was Zander, my body still felt queazy from that sight. It tightened when Caden's body appeared in my eyes taking Zander's place.

My grip around Alek grew causing him to flinch. I bit my lip hard trying not to scream out again. I couldn't allow Zander to have that satisfaction over me...not now, not again.

Zander began to laugh again as he took hold of Alex's blade, the side of his hand up against the hilt. "That's more like it!" He turned the blade in his body and pushed it out through his side. His blood sprayed out like rain. Alex's eyes widened as he backed away.

"No way..." I shivered. How can he still be standing as if nothing happened? He reached his arm out and grabbed Alex by the neck. Alex groaned dropping his sword taking a hold of Zander's arm. "Alex!" Alek and I both called out to him.

Lifting him into the air, Zander declared with pride. "This is the difference in our strength, Alex!" Releasing his grip, he brought his leg up making contact with Alex's side launching him straight into the wall.

"ALEX!!" I shouted out to him, louder this time. My body began to ache but reacted on its own, trying to escape Alek's grasp. He gradually landed back on the ground holding me in place.

"Stop, you can't go over there!" He grabbed my arms turning me towards him. "You'll only get in the way. You could get yourself killed!"

"I don't care!" Right now it didn't matter if I died or not...I just had to go to him...

Alek's grip began to hurt and I winced. "How would Alex feel if you gotten in the middle of this? All of his efforts would've been for nothing if you just threw your life away like that! Besides, you're already hurt as it is." My body froze, and I stared into his eyes. "Alex isn't as weak as you would think, especially when it comes to someone he loves. Believe me...I know." Alek was right...how could I have thought so selfishly? After losing Caden, I lost everything...everything but Alex.

"I can't lose him too..." I sobbed. If I lost him, I would surely tear apart. I broke when I lost Caden. If I were to lose Alex too, there's no doubt I would shatter.

"You won't." He lifted my head up, and pushed his lips together. "Look, right now I want to help Alex just as bad as you do, but right now, it would only make him furious if I left you here alone."

I heard Alex's voice in the distance. He stood to his feet facing Zander. "How can you still be standing after that?"

"This is merely just a scratch. You should work on your aim. You're gonna have to do better than that if you're going to kill me, Alex!" Zander charged at him again, with Alex barely dodging. "You're faster than me, I'll give you that."

Alex appeared next to his sword taking a hold of it once again. "I didn't want to have to resort to this, but it looks like I have no choice." He held his sword in front of hm. Laying his other hand on the blade, a yellow light came seeping out. What is this...it's as if the air just got thicker.

Bringing the blade closer to his body, the two lights began to merge, and he slid his fingers across the top of the blade. A huge whirlwind circled around Alex blocking his view. Zander stood there with a blank look on his face as he started losing that smile of his. The colors shined brighter than the sun, causing me to look away.

An enormous roar echoed as the sound bounced off the walls. Taking a peak, the whirlwind began to disappear. I widened my eyes when a Cerberus towered behind him. The three heads roared in sync, making the sound even louder. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was engulfed in flames, with spikes sticking out of its back.

"How did you manage to take control of a hellhound like that?" Zander demanded, looking almost as shocked as I was.

Alex smirked as the Cerberus took another roar. "Surprised? It wasn't easy taking control of Agni here, but now he and I are one. Now, by your expression, it's easy to say that my buddy was a shock to you."

"Indeed. I never expected you of all people to take complete control over a hellhound." Zander gave a frightening smirk sending goosebumps throughout my body. "But, don't think you are the only one who possesses your very own hellhound!" He whistled and the ground shook. "What kind of King would I be if I couldn't even control a beast like that?"

"You're no king, Zander! Demon or not, you'll never be considered as a king!" Alex shouted back, gripping his sword with both hands.

A second Cerberus shot up from the ground landing behind Zander. It was just as gruesome as Alex's, just as big and powerful. Alek took a hold of me taking me up into the air with him again. Zander continued, as he directed his Cerberus to attack. "Coming from a demon like you gives it no value. You speak from a humans perspective. You don't deserve the title of demon!"

"I never once accepted that to begin with!" In response, Alex signaled his Cerberus, Agni, to attack, and the two creatures clashed.

As Alex and Zander began attacking one another, Alek took us back down to the surface. "I have an idea." He said as he took out his staff.

"What is it?" I asked curiously. Don't tell me he has one of his own, too?

"I know Alex will probably be angry at me for butting in, but at least with this he can have a better chance at bringing Zander down." Sticking his staff into the ground, he clapped his hands together.

Afraid to ask, I swallowed hard and pushed the words out. "What are you going to do?"

Alek looked over at me and gave a confident smile. "I'm calling out a friend."