Chapter 8

**

My eyes slowly opened as I gained consciousness. As I stared up at the ceiling, I felt something soft up against the back of my body. Is this...my bed? Rubbing my hand over it, the softness of it gave me a warm ticklish feeling. In time, I sat up to fast holding my head from the sudden whiplash.

An alarming sound rang in my ears. Looking over, I saw Caden's name written across my phone. I see. He must still be out. Reaching over, I grabbed it and answered. "Hello?"

"Hey, Serine. Sorry, I won't be home until tomorrow. I ended up getting a flat, and turns out I don't have a spare."

"Oh, are you alright?" I asked a little worried.

"Yea, I'm fine." He reassured. "Daryl is going to let me stay at his place for tonight. It'd be a hassle to change the tire this late at night. Sorry I couldn't be there. Are you doing alright?"

I looked out my window. He's right, it was already night. How long was I even out? Giving him a reply, I nodded. "Yea, I just took a bit of a, uh, power nap."

"That's good then. Well, I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Alright, see ya." I hung up and threw my phone beside me. Before taking a stand, I stretched my arms over my head. I just realized that Alex wasn't here. Did he go home or something? Well, in any case, I needed something to drink. Just as I opened the door, Alex was reaching for the doorknob.

"So you're awake?" He asked with a smile on his face.

It started to feel as if it was normal for me to start blushing every time I saw him. I just couldn't help it, but this time, it was different. Had he been here the whole time? Watching over me? I stuttered. "H-how long have you been, here...?"

Alex grabbed my hand. "Come on, I figured you may need to get your strength back." He pulled me all the way downstairs and into the kitchen. There was already a plate made sitting on the table. A basic chicken sandwich with a bowl of salad sitting next to it. "It's not much, but I'm not much of a cook, so I just threw together what you already had."

Staring at the food, I was speechless. He seriously made this...just for me? May not have been from scratch, but...

"Hey, aren't you going to eat?" He started snapping his fingers in my face.

"Sorry, I guess I'm still just, spacing out." Looking down, I hid my face. There was no way it wasn't red right now. I sat down without looking up and began eating. In the corner of my eye, I could see Alex watching me eat as if he were some creeper stalking me. When I finished, I looked up at him and breathed in through my nose. "Thanks." Quickly turning my head away, I scratched the back of my neck.

Standing over the table, Alex forced me to look straight into his eyes. For some reason, I never noticed his eyes before now. I mean, I've seen them, but I never actually looked. They were such a dark, bloody red, with no real purpose behind them. It was almost as if they were empty, with no feeling. His lip quivered, and he released me.

As he walked away, I blurted out. "Why?" Standing to my feet, I started again. "Why? Why...?" Dammit, why wouldn't the words escape? Alex closed the distance between us and he rested his hands around my neck. A quick chill went spreading down my spine like a virus. He looked down at me with those cold eyes of his.

"Why? Why is it that I'm a demon, yet act like a human? Is that what you wanted to ask? Or are you just to scared of me to even bring up?" They way he said it was like poison. Out of nowhere, I felt a sudden burst of tears escape from my eyes. Alex leaned in closer, and brought us nose to nose. Bringing his voice down to a whisper, it only caused the chill in my spine to grow. "Believe me, I could easily rip your head from your body as if it was nothing."

I wanted to tell him I wasn't afraid of him, but right now he was making it impossible. He dragged his hands up to my cheeks and I shut my eyes tight. Using his thumbs, he wiped the tears from my eyes. Just before I opened my eyes again, his lips pressed against mine. My heart soared as he wrapped his arms around my body pulling me close against his own.

Hesitating, I kissed him back softly, slowly bringing my arms up. I grabbed the muscles in his upper arms moving my fingers up until they landed on his shoulders. Alex's grip around me tightened, and he kissed me deeper, harder.

Why? Why does he make me feel so afraid of him one minute, and the next... Why do I still feel the need to be around him? Could I really have fallen for him? A confusing human like demon? It's not possible, it just can't! I'm not capable of such trivial things, right? Who am I kidding? I'm only tricking myself. After all these years of neglect, I never thought it was possible. I guess considering this situation, the answer is clear. All my thoughts, the way he makes me feel, the way I want him by my side, the answer is right in front of me.

I have fallen for him. In such a short amount of time, he drew me in to where I can no longer break free. I wrapped my arms tightly around his neck standing on my tip toes causing him to raise his body a bit. I kissed him more passionately than before. I can no longer lie to myself.

I'm in love with Alex.