Chapter 68

I shook my head in dismay. No...Caden he, he wasn't a killer...it's not possible! "You did good, Jake." Zeke came up to me removing the gag from my mouth. "Now, how about you answer a question this time." All I could manage was a painful groan. "You're about ready to break, aren't you? Well, unfortunately for you, it's too early for you to break, because don't forget, Alex still has his game to play."

Shaking my head more, Caden's words began racing through my head again. What does Zeke have planned for Alex? Zeke ran his hand up and down the cut on my side causing my body to flinch. It wasn't until then that I actually felt the blood running down my body.

He brought both of his hand up and wiped the tears from my eyes with his thumbs. The blood on his hand spread over my cheek, and Zeke pushed his forehead against mine. "May as well save these tears for later, sweetheart. You're gonna need them." He planted a kiss on my forehead before pulling away from me. "Now, shall we continue?"

"What more do you want, Zeke?" Jake yelled out, catching his attention.

"The game isn't over, Jake. There is still-"

I knew I might end up regretting it, but I couldn't hold back. "Jake, don't answer him anymore! Don't gi-" He slammed his hand over my mouth and punched me right on my already worsened scar.

Groaning through his hand, he lifted my head back, staring deep into my eyes. "Stop acting so tough. Both you and your damn brother are the same. Both annoying. Not only that, but you both killed someone dear to me." He's not the only one to have someone dear to him killed. Zeke pulled the gag back up and tightened it around my mouth once again. "Not another word out of you."

Turning away, he faced Jake. Looking up at my hands, there was no way I could break free from these chains, especially not with the state my arms were in. Who am I kidding? Even if they weren't so numb and wounded, I'd never be able to break free on my own, no matter how hard I struggled. I realized the blood had started drying up on my arms, and the scratches began to throb.

Shutting my eyes, more tears escaped my eyes as the image of Alex appeared in my thoughts. I wanted him here by my side now...I needed him here. But right now, I don't even know where he's at let alone what happened to him. Alex, please...please come back to me..

My wrists were suddenly grabbed causing me to snap back to reality. I began to cry out. My face was held in place and my body instantly relaxed. "Calm down, Serine. It's me." Alex's voice...it's right here, so close to me. Opening my eyes, I came face to face with him. He gave a light smile of relief and pulled off the gag.

"Alex, but...how did you-"

"Now's not the time for this. I gotta get you down." I was grabbed from behind and before I reacted, I realized it was Jake. "Make sure you catch her."

"I've got her." Jake replied, a bit wary. I don't understand what just happened...one minute I'm lost in my thoughts and the next..

My wrists were released and I fell into Jake's arms. My legs had already been unshackled beforehand. Alex took me away from Jake wrapping me in his arms. Even as my arms felt limp, I managed to throw them around his shoulders.

"Let's get out of here before-" Alex started, and just as fast was interrupted.

"Not...so fast." Zeke's voice was a bit croaky, as he stood in front of the three of us. I noticed blood streaming down half his face. "Tell me...Alex, how did you...gain your, energy again?"

Holding on with a tighter grasp, Alex grew cold. "That's none of your concern."

"You're not going, anywhere. Not until...I've killed her!" He instantly attacked us head on, but right at the last second, Alex dodged taking a hold of Jake's arm. Without wasting another second, Alex zapped us out of there and into his room. Laying me down on the bed, both Alex and Jake rushed in treating my wounds.

Quickly placing a kiss on my lips, Alex pulled away again. "You're going to be alright, just hang on." Just before he could walk away, instincts kicked in and I grabbed a hold of his arm.

"Alex...I don't know what-" With my voice breaking, I couldn't even speak clearly. Alex brushed back my hair, kissing my forehead.

"Don't speak, just rest." Shutting my eyes, I bit my lip trying to hold everything back. There was so much on my mind I couldn't even contain it any longer. It was about ready to explode inside my mind. What exactly happened back there? How did I not realize what was going on? Even now, nothing I can think of makes any sense...but that's not even what my mind is most susceptible of...

**

I found myself standing in a field of green grass. This was all it took to realize where I had been. My heart leaped the second I heard his voice calling from behind me. "Hey, again." Right now, I'd be running straight into his arms again, embracing him tightly, but right now...I couldn't even bring myself to turn and face him.

"Serine, I know what happened, and-"

"Is it true?" I blurted out, trying to keep the water works from spilling out. "Caden, is what Jake said true?"

No answer.

This silence only made it harder to hold myself back. "Why bring me back here? Why now?"

"I never wanted to have to tell you any of this, and I certainly didn't want you to have to find out this way."

"So...it's true then?" When he didn't answer again, I started walking forward.

Running up behind me, Caden took a hold of my wrists. "Serine, please, wait! Listen to me." I didn't bother resisting. He released my arms walking in front of me. I was wrapped in a tight embrace, and I couldn't help but to hug him back. Even after hearing that...something I could never imagine, I couldn't bring myself to hate Caden, the one person who's always been by my side.

Pulling away, he lifted my head so that our eyes met. "Serine, it's time you knew the truth."