Chapter 83

After Caden Decorated

**

As much as I don't show it, I really hate being on this committee. It just takes too much of my time. We ended up getting out two hours later than I expected. Finally making it home, I threw my stuff on the couch. "I'm home!" I called out as I walked into the kitchen. I noticed a note hanging on the fridge.

Hey, it felt nice outside, so I decided to take a walk. Be back soon. -Serine

I frowned as I read the note. It didn't feel like a nice day for a walk more like a nice day to clear my head. Again, I wasn't here for her. How long will I keep up in disappointing her?

Myself...

A knock sounded a the door, and I came running thinking it was Serine. "Coming, sorry, I forgot I lock-" I stopped when I saw him standing at my door. He looked like a hobo with his clothes all ripped filled with dirt. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I came here about Serine."

"I thought I told you to stay away from her!" With her gone, I didn't have to hold back. "What the hell are you doing back here anyways?"

He narrowed his eyes at me, a bit confused. "What are you talking about?" Does he seriously not remember me?

"About fours years ago, you came to me asking about about Serine. Handing me a damn picture of her, you said you were looking for her. You said that if you didn't get to her, she'd be killed!"

"That was you?" This time, his eyes were wide open.

"Yes, that was me. Now would you tell me what the hell you're doing back here?"

Looking around, he pushed himself past me, and I shut the door behind him. "Caden, right?" Serine must've mentioned my name at some point..I didn't bother commenting on how he knew my name. "First off, I have a message. I found Serine at the park, and she was feeling ill, so I took her to my place just up the road."

I instantly ran up to him grabbing him by the collar. "Why didn't you bring her here!?" He pushed me off, yelling back at me.

"She didn't want to come back!" I backed away, a little hurt from those words. Of course she didn't want to come back here... "Look, I'm sorry. I just came to let you know she's alright. I was asked by her to let you know."

Shaking the whole issue from my head, I changed the subject. "I have a question for you. Four years ago, you came and left. So why show up now?"

"After my run in with you, I ended up finding her. I thought about approaching her, but I knew that if I ended up making contact then, it would only make matters worse with Zander, and-"
I blurted out before he could say another word.

"Who the hell is Zander?"

"The other demon from that night."

Just thinking about him made my skin crawl. The words he said that night were still etched inside my head. But there was something a bit off about the way this guy said what he said... "Other demon?" He let out a sigh, almost as if he was caught. "You're a demon too, aren't you?"

He sighed again before responding. "Listen, I can explain-"

"Don't even bother!" I snapped back instantly trying to calm myself down. The fact that he was a demon made me even more upset about the whole thing. But, it's obvious he isn't a bad guy considering...if he was, he probably would've already done something to Serine. "Look, umm...what's your name?"

"Alex." He replied with a stern face.

I can't believe I'm even saying this... "Can I trust you, to watch over Serine?" At least if she has him around, she won't need me around anymore.

He nodded. "Look, that's the whole reason why I came looking for her. I want her safe just as much as you do. I won't let Zander get to her."

With the sincerity in his words, I felt I could trust him. "Alright then. I trust that you will be there for here." Holding out my hand, he took a hold of it, and we shook on it.