Chapter 59

**

Alex stood across the way from me. Nothing but trees surrounded us. Taking a step forward, someone else came walking out of the shadows. But that's...Alex? Two Alex's? No, that's not right. They both looked at me. Such killer intent in their eyes. I can't even tell the difference between the two. A perfect clone. Their hair is the exact same black, spiky hair. Even their height and clothes are a perfect match. A casual t-shirt with a pair of jeans.

I quickly turned my body in the opposite direction, and there stood Alex. "Where are you going?" His tone was soft, but menacing, I couldn't help but back away. My movements were stopped when someone stepped behind me; the second Alex. He wrapped his arms around me, holding me in place.

"Let go of me!" I shouted as the other approached me. He took a hold of both of my hands and put us face to face. "Why is there two of you?"

"Obviously, because neither of us are real." I struggled more, but the fake behind me wouldn't budge. He was a frozen statue locked tightly around me. "This is all just a dream." A dream? My hand was released thus my shirt was pulled up. This Alex grinned with amusement.

I pushed my body back quickly along with the dummy causing him to release me and fall back to the ground. He was just an empty shell. I moved over to the side and held the bottom of my shirt down. The stronger of the two began to laugh.

"What's so funny?"

"That wound of yours. It seems to have been patched up, just like the one on your hand." He shrugged. "Well, I guess it would make sense or else you wouldn't be having this dream, considering you'd be dead. But I guess you still being alive wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing."

"What are you talking about?" If this really isn't Alex, then why? Then who? How does he even know about these wounds? "Who are you, really?"

He narrowed his eyes and tsked at me. "Could you have already forgotten me? Of course, I never did actually give you a straight name." As he approached me, I backed away. "Why widen the distance between us?"

"I don't trust you." I urged back at him. What a thing to say to Alex, even if it isn't truly him. "I'll ask you again. Who are you?"

"You're quite demanding."

"Stop avoiding it!" I snapped at him. My temper rising a bit. I couldn't take all this suspense. "You said you never gave me a straight name, so-"

He began to laugh. I felt like I was being mocked again. "You seriously don't remember a damn thing?" His laugh grew louder, even more unsettling. I swallowed hard, taking another step back. "Things just got a lot more entertaining." Appearing right next to me, he rested his arm on my shoulder, bringing his voice down to a whisper. "Zeke. That's all I'm giving you." Walking past me, my body suddenly felt heavier. Before completely disappearing, he left me with even more uncomfortable words. "I look forward to our next meeting. Though it's not like you'll even recognize me."

Turning around, he was gone. That other, soulless puppet was no longer around either. In the end, I was left here alone with my own thoughts. Even though he said it was a dream, it feels more real. Zeke...that was all he gave me about who he was. A lot of help that does. I've never even heard the name before. Could it just be some kind of alias? Who knows...but still. How did he even know about my wounds? And even more so where they were? Could he have been the one to inflict them?

Why can't I remember anything? I can remember everything from finding Alex and before, but nothing after that. And according to Alex...he wasn't even there, so even he doesn't know.

So then...what happens next?

**

My eyes opened steadily, and the ceiling came into view. So plain and boring, a nasty cream color. It wasn't attractive at all. Rotating my head, Alex was leaned over in his chair, resting his head on the side of the bed. Pushing myself up, I groaned from the pain in my side. Looking at Alex, a smile spread across my face. He must have been tired himself.

Reaching my hand out, I took a hold of his. Compared to mine, his hand was frozen. Gripping it tighter, his fingers slowly wrapped around mine. I wonder if he's aware, even as he sleeps.

The door swung open and I quickly pulled my hand away from his. "So you're awake, I see." Jake came through the door with a backpack in hand.

"Have you been here the whole time too?"

Shaking his head, he answered. "No, I left a while ago." He averted his eyes, and took a seat. "But hey, I'm back."

Pushing my lips together, I was hesitant in asking. "Did something happen? While I was sleeping?"

"It's nothing. You don't want to know."

"Did you have another one of your episodes?" Thinking about it, he hasn't really lashed out lately, but who knows, maybe it's just been at times where I wasn't around. In a way, he was starting to when I left to search for Alex, but I wasn't around long enough to find out. "Is that why you left?"

No answer.

Well, in a way that just gave me my answer. I wonder though...could it have been a fight with Alex? As much as I wanted to know, I didn't want to ask. "So, how long have you been up?" Jake snapped me out of my own thoughts.

"Just now, actually. Right before you walked through the door." I looked back over at Alex, still sleeping as soundly as ever. "I woke up to find him sleeping at my bed side."

"He really does care about you, doesn't he?" His voice was low and sincere. I nodded. There have been times where he doesn't show it, times where it's been the complete opposite, but in the end...he's always been there for me. "I gotta ask, what do you even see in him?"

His words hit me harder than I expected. The way he said it.. "Did Alex fill you in on my supposed joke?"

Taking a stand, he stood at the end of the bed. "Yea. Turns out he really is a demon." Taking a quick glance at Alex, he fixed his eyes on me again. "So what, then? Seriously, who falls for a demon?"

It was more complex than just a few simple words. Technically, I was already in love with him long before I even knew he even existed, let alone he was a demon. "It's, complicated..." I stared back at Alex again. "Even though he's a demon...he-"

"Forget it." He snapped as he turned away. "I probably wouldn't even understand your reasons for it anyways."