Chapter 14

**

I sat on one of the many benches around the park, folding my arms around my stomach. I couldn't handle being in my house right now, especially not alone. As for when Caden would be back, I wasn't sure. It was possible he would've been held up and gotten back later than he planned. I left him a note saying I had went for a walk. My body was still shaken up from the trauma, so even with the weather being so nice, I still felt a cold breeze causing me to shiver.

Watching as the kids play around made me feel a little more relaxed. Kids always have it so easy. They always run around, smiling, without a care in the world.

**

The sun was beginning to set, the sky became filled with different colors. Blue, pink, purple, orange...it was so beautiful. I wonder if Caden is home, or if he read my note. I want to go home, I do, but...

"Serine?" I jumped up at the sound of my name. All that tension came flooding back. Closing my eyes, I tried to relax myself again. "What are you doing here?" Hearing the voice again, I realized it was Alex's. Why does he always show up out of nowhere? Opening my eyes, I looked over at him. He was pale with messy hair. The clothes he wore were dirty and ripped in a few spots.

"I'm not in the mood to talk..." Turning my head away, I pushed myself back on the bench bringing my legs up to my chest. "...go away..." I didn't want him to leave, I really didn't, but I didn't want him to stay either. Not if it meant he'd make me say what had happened. I didn't want to tell him about Zander...not today...

"I'm not going away just because you told me to." I had a feeling he would say that. Alex took a seat next to me. "What happened?"

I can't tell him...I can't! It would only make things worse! But if I didn't, then what? I opened my mouth to speak, but i suddenly felt Zander's hand cover my mouth again.

Instinctively, I pushed myself back as if to get away from him. Falling back, I screamed out as if he were right in front of me. "NO!!" Before I fell to the ground, Alex caught me from behind. I began to sob as I turned my body burying my face in his dirty shirt.

"Serine...what?" His words were stalled. Alex couldn't make out what had just happened.

As I cried out, I forced the one word of of my mouth in a stammered fashion. "Z-Zan...der..." I tightly gripped his shirt in between my fingers. I couldn't see Alex's reaction, but from the way his body changed, I knew it wasn't a good one.

He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me away looking me in the eyes. "Serine, you have to tell me what happened." His eyes were so serious, so filled with anger. I couldn't look at him and tell him with those eyes...

Looking down, I tightly closed my eyes, and extracted the words from my mouth with delays. "I...I heard him...his voice...h-h-he said he...he..." I couldn't bring myself to say it, my voice cracked several times in between. All that fear came sailing back, and I gripped his shirt even tighter causing it to wrinkle.

His grip on my shoulders got tighter, then he quickly released embracing me tightly. Alex's voice was quiet, but I could still hear the words he spoke. "Dammit! That bastard..."

"He..." I started again, but the words I wanted to say still wouldn't form. "He found me...I-I, don't-"

Alex cut me off. "Don't push yourself." Hearing him say that only made me break down even more. "Let's get you home."

"NO!" I screamed out as my body quivered. Shaking my head, I cried again. "I can't...not now..."

"Alright." He replied without arguing. Alex let out a small breath, and the next second, we were indoors. I could feel the warmth of the air run against my body. "This is my place." He slowly dropped his arms and lifted my head. "You'll be safe here."

I swallowed hard and nodded. He laid his lips against mine, and my heart took flight. Just as I was about to push my lips back, he pulled his away. "You should get some rest for now." Using the tips of his thumbs, he wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Caden...could you...let him know?" My words were delayed again as I sniffed my stuffy nose.

Alex smiled at me, making me feel safe again. He reassured me. "I'll take care of it." Leading me to his room, I laid on his bed curled up in a ball. "Don't worry, I'll be here the whole time."

As I nodded, he brushed my hair back and out of my face. Kissing me on the forehead, I closed my eyes. Breathing in and out a few times, I was finally able to calm down. Though...I can't take credit for myself...I was only able to relax because Alex showed up. Even when I least expected it, Alex was there for me. There's no doubt in my mind that he truly is the one I love.