For My Daughter

I would update this weekend as usual, but I'm really busy so I decided to post today.

This chapter takes place at the same time as the next two, but in different places, and when I was almost halfway through the next one, I changed my mind and decided to write this first.

In this chapter, Doug begins his journey to reconnect with his past.

I'm going to introduce Doug's family, so if it looks confusing, the notes at the end will clear up any doubts for now.

*

*

*

DOUG

To say that Doug was nervous was an understatement.

One thing that has never changed since he was a puppy was his ease in worrying.

It didn't help that he was about to meet with someone who had known him since he was a puppy.

Doug took advantage of his last day off before moving to go to Delilah's parents' house, thinking he should start reconnecting with his past with his future wife's father.

"I think I will arrive at lunch. I hope I'm not a nuisance."

Doug had left the house before the pups woke up and was driving for just over five hours, and according to the GPS, he only had to go straight for 2 km and he would reach his destination.

He had obtained the address from Dylan when the young Dalmatian went to inspect the house, and asked him not to tell Delilah.

It wasn't that Doug wanted to act behind her back, but he knew that Delilah would want to tag along.

And that was something he had to do on his own.

Doug arrived at what looked like a wooden farmhouse-style fence, bringing back memories of his childhood. He then saw a gate with a wooden sign above it with "Dalmatian Ranch" written on it and entered.

He continued inside the property and stopped the car in front of the main house and got out of the car, watching his surroundings with a mixture of fear and wonder in his eyes.

The main house was large and beautiful, made of wood and in the style of a country house with two floors, as well as a beautiful vegetable garden nearby with some fresh vegetables. There was a small wooden barn painted in classic red; three smaller houses a little further away, where the employees lived, and also ten cottages scattered across the land; and near the main house there was a dead tree with some ropes tied to a field plowing tractor, and by the marks on the ground someone tried to pull the tree out but the tractor failed.

The terrain was quite extensive as far as Doug could see, and he had a beautiful view of a lighthouse that seemed to be inside the property, as well as a fenced area with a few cows. According to Dylan, the lighthouse was about a ten-minute walk from the beach, down a trail on the hill.

Delilah had said that after retiring, her father decided to go back to the roots in the countryside, buying a property in Cornwall and making it as similar as possible to the family farm in Suffolk, creating a strange "beach farm", which for Doug it seemed like a fun idea, and something he would expect from her father.