I'm Not Like You - Part 1

WARNING: This chapter contains shocking material that may horrify some, and is probably the most serious chapter of the entire trilogy (technically, both halves).

It also contains multiple references to Arnold Schwarzenegger's films from the 80's and 90's. Be prepared if you don't get some.

If you're left with "WTF!?" in the head, my notes at the end explain the references.

*

*

*

DOUG

"I can't believe he had the gall to demand to see me!"

Doug was inside the elevator of a tall building in the City of London, going up to the top floor. The building served as the headquarters for Rekall Enterprises, although they leased some of the floors to several different companies.

As soon as the doors opened, Doug stepped out of the elevator and found himself in a large hall, which unlike others similar that had about 20 cubicles where employees normally work, had only a large room with modest decor and a large carpet. with the company logo in the center.

Through the hall were doors that led to other rooms, but more importantly, at the far end of the elevator was an anteroom separated from the rest by a glass door and wall. In this room, there was a table next to a large double door, where a familiar cat was using a computer while talking to someone through a microphone device attached to his left ear, much like a professional who doesn't hold the phone during calls.

"(sigh) I still can't believe he convinced me to come here."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

TWO DAYS AGO . . . _________________________________________________________________________________________

Doug entered the captain's room, and upon entering the adult Dalmatian saw a cat a little younger than him with orange fur, wearing a fancy suit that indicated that he either worked for a company or was a lawyer.

"Hello. I was told you're looking for me."

The cat looked at him with a little surprise, but then cleared his throat and assumed an air of professionalism.

"In fact. My name is Oliver, and I represent Rekall Enterprises."

Doug's smile faded and the blood froze in his veins.

"And what do you want with me?"

The cat looked a little uneasy, and Doug had an idea why.

"Your father sent me. There are some important details, but in short, he wants to meet with you."

As soon as Doug heard this, his eyes widened. A strong fury began to rise in him at the memory of his father, and it immediately increased as he recalled what he'd recently discovered with Patch.

Still, Doug knew the cat before him had no involvement with what his father had done, and he took a deep breath to maintain a sympathetic demeanor.

"With all due respect, Mr. Oliver, as far as I'm concerned my father is dead."