1-5

Volume 1: Cultivation and Romance of a Mature Woman in the Metropolis Chapter 1 Stepping StoneChapter 1 Stepping Stone

"Luoran, this kind of man doesn't deserve your sadness..." Baojia gives up her usual aggression and softens her voice.

Even in a softened voice, Baojia's frowning. She is saying that to comfort Lin Luoran, asking her to put that unfaithful man behind. Actually, Baojia wishes to grab a knife, chop the bastard into bits and feed him to dogs!

Baojia looks at her friend who is sitting on the couch and staring at the television—the 27-year-old Lin Luoran. Luoran's cheeks have long lost their gloss and smoothness back in her girlhood, while her long silky black hair still hangs by the waist. Without special care, her hair already has withered split ends.

With her empty eyes and all those cheap clothes, Lin Luoran barely looks like that comely and clever girl she used to be at high school. She clearly seems like an ordinary woman in her late twenties...

Something suddenly starts to surge in Baojia's heart and almost drive her to tears. She gnashes her teeth in hatred, "I must go and find that bastard!" She says, picking up her handbag from the couch. Baojia turns around and heads outside. Her 10cm high heels swerve on the worn tiles.

A pair of hands grab her.

Blue veins stand out on these bony and pale hands. Only with a slight glimpse, Baojia knows whom these hands belong to—Besides, there is no other person in this house except the skinny Lin Luoran.

Baojia even cannot bear to use her strength. These arms are so thin, which seem like they could easily be broken. She bursts into tears, "What does all the self-torture mean for you? That shameless couple are still alive and kicking!" Raging tears blur Baojia's eyes and fall down along her cheeks, messing up with her fine makeup.

However, she doesn't have time to worry about all that now. She is sincerely feeling sorry for Luoran.

With dullness, Lin Luoran is startled by her friend's cry. Emotions begin to appear on her face. She rolls her eyeballs and brings back some liveliness.

"Baojia..." She tries to move her lips, but her voice sounds husky due to the lingering silence.

With tears still hanging on cheeks, Baojia couldn't hold her surprise. Lin Luoran hasn't been speaking a word for three days! Now she unexpectedly starts to speak, which makes Baojia feels that her hands are shaking. She tries to touch Luoran's face while being afraid to startle the girl. She worries that it might be a dream.

Lin Luoran rolls her dark eyes again. Her eyes are so dry for she hasn't been sleeping in the last three days. No sleeping and eating for three whole days... Lin Luoran always knows that she can endure it, but she never expects herself to be so tolerant. Perhaps this is why people say that poor people have more tenacity in life?

Finding herself regaining the mood of self-mockery, Lin Luoran lifts her eyes and sees the concerns on Baojia's face.

Baojia is looking at Luoran nervously. Lin Luoran barely simulates a smile, with her heart filled with sorrow, "Baojia, I'm hungry." She grabs Baojia with her bony arms, wondering where her strength comes from.

Baojia takes a deep breath and forces herself to calm down. Maybe this is just Luoran's strategy. What if Luoran tries to commit suicide once she left?

"Let me order takeout for you. Yon ho Soybean Milk, your favorite!" Baojia finds a compromise solution with her quick thinking. She immediately rummages in her handbag, takes out her shining navy-blue cellphone, dials the delivery hotline of the restaurant and orders soybean milk, vegetable porridge and Lin Luoran's favorite kelp salad.