21-25

Chapter 21 Go into the Mountains

It is raining in the middle of the night. When Luoran gets up, she thinks of the slippery road and hesitates about her father's plan:

"Dad, you have to collect herbs on the mountain when it rains? I can afford to raise you. Why do you work so hard?"

Her mother babbles, "You know your father. How can he go back on what he has promised already?"

Lin Luoran can do nothing to her stubborn father. Last night after dinner, Lin Luoran talked about her present situation roughly. The space is too weird, and she worried that her mother would reveal some clues when chatting with villagers, so she just told them that she gets some opportunities and the raw gemstones offer some fortune.

They've only heard about jade, let alone gambles on stone. They couldn't understand totally. After a long explanation, they finally believed that Lin Luoran has made some money now. She also wants to tell them that she has five million, but in case they presume she goes crazy, she prepares to do it step by step.

But in this way, she cannot stop her father from climbing the mountains to gather herbs.

Lin Luoran ponders for a while and she asks Uncle Li to send her mother to the town to withdraw money with her bank card. She is going to go up the mountain with her father.

Their village lies back against continuous mountains. Because of sufficient rain, they can collect bamboo shoots in spring, pick mushrooms in summer, and gather herbs in autumn. The village depends on the mountains. The forest is a treasure house for villagers to support families. It's self-sufficient. Therefore, the villagers have no ambition and seem to be a bit isolated.

Herbs growing in the mountains are much more effective than those cultivated artificially. Every year some bosses come here to buy them. Mr. Lin has been in this business for years. Lin Luoran has assisted him since she was a child, so she knows well about the preparation for climbing the mountains.

They have changed into light and antiskid boots. Mr. Lin takes a chopper to open a way and for self-defense. They each carry a bamboo basket on their back with some rice rolls made by Mother Lin as food. Shortly after daybreak, they go up the mountains.

Many people walk outside the forest which has already stepped some crisscross paths. Too many people gather here, and no amount of herbs can escape from such searches by gatherers. The place Lin Luoran and her father to go is deep in the mountain forest interlaced with shrubs and thorns.

Lin's father uses the chopper to open the way while stopping to pick some usable herbs into the basket from time to time. After two hours, they have crossed a mountain, and reached the depth of the mountain forest.

Mr. Lin's basket has been half full, but Lin Luoran's basket only gets a few sparse herbs which are valueless goods.

Her father notices it but he doesn't blame her. He takes her here for having fun and doesn't expect her to pick many.

In fact, Lin Luoran's harvest is not as little as it seems.

Along the way, she has secretly thrown a lot of herbs into the space, including those she knows and doesn't know. Needless to talk about those she is familiar with. For others, the year is used to judge the value of herbs. Lin Luoran has the space as a cheating device, so for her, it is not difficult.

For those she doesn't know, Lin Luoran has a pair of bright eyes which can see Reiki. Those herbs pulled up by her are ordinary to others, but for Lin Luoran, they are full of Reiki.

At this moment, they have arrived at the col of the second peak. If they go any further, they may not be able to return on time at night. It is dangerous to stay overnight in the woods without any preparation. Mr. Lin suggests that they can seek herbs respectively. Don't go beyond a radius of ten li (5 kilometers). He asks her to leave marks along the way. Regardless of the result two hours later, they must return the same way to this spot.