Chapter Thirty-One

I was lost in my thought while Kyle and I headed to my apartment

I was lost in my thought while Kyle and I headed to my apartment. So much had happened since that first day of teaching.

But it all led me here...

It brought me to this moment. As if he knew I was thinking about him, he reached over and placed his hand atop mine and squeezed.

"Penny for your thoughts," he asked with a wink.

I shrugged. "Oh I'm not sure they're worth that much."

"Are you okay? Have you changed your mind about me coming with you? I can just drop you off and-"

I placed a finger over his mouth, causing a subtle smile from him.

"Of course I want you to come with me," I said reassuringly. "It's just that so much has happened, and I was just thinking about it all."

He nodded. "I want you to know that I'll always be right beside you." He let out an exasperated sigh. "I know my actions haven't exactly proved that, but I can't change the past of me being an idiot." He took my hand and brought it to his lips for a gentle peck. "But that will never happen again. I'm not going anywhere ever again."

I knew he meant every word. Robby had helped me understand a little more about putting myself in Kyle's situation, and I couldn't say that I wouldn't have felt the same or reacted the same. After all, we were all only human.

"I know you did what you thought was best."

"What was best was to be there for you," he responded. "I was stupid." He sighed loudly.

"It's all in the past now. All I want to do is look ahead as soon as I take care of the past."

His forehead crinkled. "What're you going to say to them?"

I shrugged. "I really have no idea. What do you say to a woman that left you and your dad to live a life without her?"

He nodded. "I really wouldn't know how to handle that. It's not gonna be an easy road, it's gonna be a damn bumpy one. But you're taking the first step to getting answers that you've wanted to know for a long time. You have to start somewhere."

"I just don't know," I said with an exasperated sigh as I leaned back against the headrest of my seat  as we pulled in the driveway.

He parked in my designated spot and put the engine to rest. My heart started to race and my chest felt heavy with anxiety.

"Wanna go get a coffee? I think that-"

He pushed the button that released my seat belt.

"Let's go. You've got this."

I nodded with an unsure smile and a deep breath. "Alright."

He held my hand tightly as we made our way to my front door. I had to admit it was a nice sight to not see the camera crews pushing their way through for the best shot. That was all a thing of the past and hopefully the whispers of the students -and a few other teachers- would soon be a thing of the past.