Chapter Twenty Four

As I pulled down my road, I gasped as I got closer to my complex

As I pulled down my road, I gasped as I got closer to my complex. There were reporters everywhere. Cameramen were lining up their angles toward the door that I’d ran to after a downpour of rain not too long ago after a perfect date with Kyle.

I wasn’t sure what to do, so I just pulled down a different row of complexes and parked in a spot farthest away from the chaos.

I pulled out my phone and called Robby. He answered on the second ring.

“Hey there. How are you. What happened?” he asked, sounding like I woke him.

“I’ve been suspended, and I’ll tell you all about it as soon as I can get in the building.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked, sounding more alert. “Why can’t you get upstairs?”

“Because there are cameras and new crews everywhere. I’m guessing that Molly wanted to blast my name out there, and by the looks of it, she’s succeeded.”

He sighed. “Hang on, I’ll be right out. I’ll fucking shove all those bitches out of the way if I have to.”

I laughed to keep from crying at the situation. “I’m to the right of our complex.”

“Okay, stay put. I’ll put some shoes on and I’m coming to get you.”

“Thanks, Robby.”

I hung the phone up and stayed in my car, watching the vultures look around, talking amongst themselves. My life didn’t even seem real anymore. At the end of the summer, the only thing I had to face was a life without Dan Franklin. And now, it was turned on its head, based on the lies of a jealous, petty woman.

Robby wandered out of the complex and was surrounded by the vultures, but they backed away when they realized he wasn’t one of the bodies they were looking to invade.

He jogged over to me with a bag in his hand. I unlocked the car doors as he jumped in the passenger seat.

“What the fuck is going on?” he asked. “Why are those fuckers all over there? What happened at your meeting?”

I realized I hadn’t called him yet to talk to him because of everything that had happened.

“I’ve been suspended, pending further review of the details.”

“That’s fucking bullshit. How can they do that?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know, but they did. Dad sent one of his lawyers over and he’s going over all the details. It’s a mess, Robby. And it’s a mess with Kyle.”

I felt my eyes welling up with tears again, and Robby pulled me into his shoulder.

“What’s happening with that handsome man?” Robby asked as I felt the warmth of my best friend’s shoulder.