Chapter Nineteen

It was dark outside when I opened my eyes again, and I couldn't believe that I had Kendall wrapped in my arms right now

It was dark outside when I opened my eyes again, and I couldn't believe that I had Kendall wrapped in my arms right now. If I could hold her safely in my arms like this forever, I fucking would. Because she'd been through too damn much at her age. And no one in her life made her secure. Not even her father, which I'd learn last night.

She started to stir beside me and I pulled her in closer to me, causing the hint of a smile on her lips.

"What're you smiling for?" I asked, snuggling into her neck, taking in the subtle remnants of her perfume.

"I'm happy that I'm here with you, and I really don't want to move."

"You can stay the night if you'd like. It's just after ten already."

Her eyes opened widely as she peeked at the clock. "Oh my gosh, I had no idea it was already getting that late."

She sat up, wrapping the sheet around her chest. She looked around the bed and the nightstand.

"If you're looking for your phone, I think it's in there on the couch still." I smiled. "And given your current attire, I'm gonna have to insist that you get it yourself. And the sheet must remain in the bedroom. I have a strict rule about that."

She laughed. "Oh yeah?"

I nodded, keeping my stoic stare. "Absolutely. I have a zero tolerance policy for rule breakers."

"Well, Mr. Stephens, I'd hate to get detention, so I guess I'll be a good girl."

She let the sheet drop and I instantly regretted my decision as I took in her body. She was stunning, and I wanted nothing more than to pull her into me and make love to her all over again.

I quickly jumped up and tackled her back on the bed, causing her to squeal with laughter.

“Stop it! You’re not playing fair. I told you I would be a good girl!” She yelled while laughing.

“You really think I’m gonna let you leave this bed with nothing on?”

She shrugged. “I was just obeying your rules, sir. I don’t have any extra time for detention.”

“Uh-huh, I’ll make sure you have the time for something…”

We kissed briefly before tangling into a mess of limbs and passion. It was as if we couldn’t get enough of each other. We’d opened the door, physically, to our relationship…and broke off the damn lock.

It was a nice change of pace to have a night with Kendall without having to worry about Molly or the impending allegations against one or both of us. Even though Kendall’s parents threw a curveball at her, she was handling the best she could, and I was glad to play a part in getting her mind of everything but us.

After catching our breath once again, she grabbed my t-shirt and threw it over her head. Before I could say anything, she raced off the bed and into the living room. And even for the brief minute she was gone, my bed had never felt so empty.