Chapter Twenty Six

"It's over, Molly

"It's over, Molly."

The look on her face told me that she knew that she'd been caught, but I allowed her to try and talk her way out of it. Because I knew there was no way in hell her lies would continue another day.

As much as I disliked Dan, he did a perfect job of getting her to talk. It was almost too easy, but I wasn't one to not give credit where it's due.

"Kyle, please listen," Molly begged. "I didn't mean to hurt anyone. And I know Kendall's been working closely with you. But she isn't good for you. I've seen girls like her before. I went to school with a ton of them. She's only going to hurt you, and I care about you too much to let that happen." She sighed. "So if I had to tell a small lie for you to see the truth, then so be it. I won't apologize for wanting to protect you from the woman."

"This recording is gonna go in the right hands as soon as I leave," Dan said, ready to leave the classroom. But I quickly stopped him. He wasn't aware of what I did without his knowledge.

"No, don't worry about that." I said, with Dan looking on quizzically.

Molly smiled, probably thinking that I was having a change of heart. "Does that mean..."

"Explain to me why, Molly," I asked. "What you thought could come from what you said to the board."

Molly sighed. "Alright, I get it that I messed up big time. I wasn't thinking rationally when I told the board that lie."

"Which part?" I said, trying my best to get the exact details out of her mouth.

"You know what I said," Molly answered, looking annoyed. And I knew I had to tread carefully here.

"I need you to talk to me, face to face, and explain it. Maybe then I'll understand."

She nodded. "Okay, I lied when I told the board that Kendall threatened me. She didn't do anything, but I knew I had to tell them something to get her away from you. She's not good for you, Kyle." I nodded, wanting her to continue. "I didn't want to derail her career, and I hope I didn't do that. I had no intentions of pursuing this legally. I just needed her away from this school."

The door to Molly's classroom opened and Henry Sparks walked through the door, along with Marianne Bell. Neither looked happy, but now I had Molly caught without a chance of the recording being messed up or trusting Dan to come through for Kendall.

I wasn't about to take any chances when it came to clearing Kendall from this nightmare.

Molly gasped when she saw that she'd been caught in person.

"Miss Brigham, you're going to need to come with me. Mr. Stephens, thank you for the heads up." Henry and Marianne both glared at Molly as they left the room in single file fashion.

"What the hell was that?" Dan asked, looking pissed. "If you--"

"Whoa, hold up. Before you start getting all worked up, I couldn't take the chance that this was going to get messed up by either of us or the recording." I continued, "And I'm not going to lie, I don't know you. And what I do know isn't good. You screwed Kendall over once with another girl, and I wasn't going to take any chances of you doing that again last minute."