XXVI

╭──── ✩ ────╮
BREAK-IN
╰──── ✩ ────╯

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

THE NEW SCHOOL YEAR had started, which meant Sirius and I were in a lot more danger than we had initially thought. If a student was to wander out here and find us, what would we do? We have no where else to go. Not to mention, we recently found out Peter was hiding in Hogwarts. Not only had the rat snuck in as someones pet, but he had the audacity to walk in the halls of that castle we had once all called home.

"We have to get him." Sirius stated, his tone dripping with revenge; it was evident that he wanted to kill Peter, and so did I, but this was not the way— not now.

"Sirius! We can't just waltz in there and kill the guy, what if we are spotted and they have dementors! What if we get caught!? I can't go back there! I can't!" I hissed, holding my head in my hands as the memories within Azkaban invaded my mind. The whippings, the starvation.. the feeling of total emptiness.. I couldn't go through that again, not now, not ever.

"We won't!" His voice was softer now, his hands placed on each of my shoulders. "We won't get caught, because we are animagi love, Illegal ones.. no one knows about us except Remus; and Merlin knows where he is.." he finished, pulling me to him and placing a kiss on my forehead. That reassurance, and that gesture all calmed my nerves.

He was right, no one knew, so how could we possibly get caught? So I nodded, showing my agreement, and within seconds I was being pulled down the stairs— the two of us transfiguring before we stepped out into the cold winter air.

Quickly, we made our way through the castle. Our intrusion beginning around dinner time so that there were less professors and students wandering the corridors. This plan was absolutely ridiculous.. I mean, how were we even supposed to find the bloody rat?

The dementors were oblivious to us, the students and professors all distracted by the hot meal in the great hall. This plan was perfect, but something felt off about it all, why was Peter here? What could he possibly have any business doing being someone's house pet?

A low bark came from beside me, pulling be from my thoughts. We had arrived, here we were standing directly in front of the fat lady portrait— shifting back.

"Let us in." Sirius demanded, earning a sour look from the uninterested portrait. That was, until, she recognized us and her eyes grew wide with fear. I had expected that, due to our situation.

"I will never allow a criminal such as yourself and in here, Sirius Black. Now leave!" The portrait spat back, "please, let us in we need-" I begged, reaching my hand point towards the painting; who just scoffed at my request.