Chapter 35 Jackson

The grim reality has finally set in as the sun rises. Raymond has destroyed me and now has destroyed his family. The truth is tough like kneading dough. The whole night I tried to block out mom's cries and Charlie's snores. It was miserable and the child in me wanted to run to my mom.

I skipped breakfast due to the lack of sleep and took a shower when Charlie woke me up the second time. In the bathroom, I got dressed in my suit and used some of dad's hair jell to get my hair out of my face.

I ring Blondie and it takes a couple of seconds before she answers. "Good morning," her sleepy voice calls through the phone.

"Morning, sorry for calling you so early," I say sounding just as tired.

"It's okay Jackson, I wanted you to call me whenever you woke up," Blondie explains.

"Did you have nightmares again?" I ask already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, but it's okay. I'm quite used to it now," she mumbles into the phone.

"I'm sorry baby," I sigh wishing I could make it better.

"It's okay. You're going to the funeral right now?" She asks.

"Yeah, I need to go. I'll call you later," I say shoving my smokes in my pocket.

"Okay, try to keep your cool. I understand it might be weird seeing that side of the family all together," Blondie comforts me.

"I'll try, later Blondie," I say hanging up. I should have waited for her to say goodbye, but I need a minute to think.

I stare at myself in the mirror. My eyes water and I curse at myself for having a weak moment. I hate Raymond for doing this to his family.

A knock at the door causes me to snap out of it. "Jackson, honey, it's time to go," mom calls from the other side of the door. I open to door and face her. Mom's eyes are red and puffy. I shakily wrap my arms around her shoulders to comfort her. Her arms snake around my waist and squeeze me. "I love you, Jackson," she muffles into my chest. I don't say anything back, but she knows I do too.
~
When we arrive at the church I sneak off for a smoke. God knows I'll need it... I walk to the back of the church that has only two cars parked. I quickly light up my cigarette and inhale the toxic fumes. The chill of the menthol makes me shiver.

Before we came to Idaho I asked to stay home. I wanted to skip the funeral. I didn't want to see all those people again. People with ties to Raymond. Some of those who still talk to him. People visit him. Even being in the same state as him makes me want to vomit.

A skinny guy with tight black jeans and a white button-up comes around the corner. I squint my eyes at him. He has black hair to his chin with blue ends. He looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on who he is.

He smiles at me when our eyes meet. I raise my brow at him before he speaks, "Long time no see Jackson," he says and I immediately recognize his voice.

"Jake," I hum, amusement in my eyes. When mom told me we were moving I stopped talking to everyone 2 months before I left. I didn't even say goodbye to my best friend, Jake.

"You came back for the funeral I see," he says giving me a handshake. I nod lighting up a cigarette for him.

"Why'd you come?" I ask blowing out smoke. Jake's family was close to mine, but I know Jake wouldn't give a shit to go to a funeral.

"I knew you were coming," he says leaning against the church and tapping off some ash.

"And why is that?" I ask raising a brow.

"Because I know you wouldn't skip out wallowing in pain. You like it," he laughs.

I roll my eyes. "Shut the fuck up," I growl. Like it? He doesn't know shit.