Chapter 12 Nadia

Do not read if you get triggered by self-harm!

It's been a long day of trying to act like Jackson doesn't exist. Like he's a figment of my imagination, but he's not. He's real.

I tried to act like I didn't see him talk to Kim all flirty. But it's hard to ignore the first guy you've been attracted to in a while when he's talking to your step sister.

Kim's always made it her mission to hunt down every guy in her path. It was just a matter of time until she saw Jackson's fine ass wandering the halls. Maybe he's smart enough to ignore her antics like I'm ignoring him.

The bell rings and pulls me out of thought. I've been chewing on this pencil the whole class period. It's finally time for the part of the day I've been dreading, besides Biology. Advisory. I have to sit by this asshole again.

I get up extra slow grabbing my backpack off the floor. The backpack makes my back and shoulders ache.

My stomach is a mess and swirling as my feet wander down the hall and up the stairs. Everyone's face is a blur as I focus on one mission. To get my seat.

As soon as I enter Mr. Brown's classroom I focus on the ground in front of me. I cautiously make my way to my seat and I can sense Jackson's presence. His warm body is raiding onto me and I can't help, but shutter.

He still smells like mint and cigarettes and it always puts me in a trance. I close my eyes momentarily then focus back onto to table in front of me.

My breathing is rapid and my heart is beating faster than normal. I twist my head a little to see his tattooed arms. Inside of his inner arm is a phone number. A familiar phone number. Kimberly's.

I stop breathing for a moment. Of course, he's dumb enough to fall for her antics. And I was dumb enough to believe he wouldn't. I bit down on my lip in pure concentration. What if they hook up? Or he becomes her boyfriend? I'd have to see him around the house. I couldn't even look at him if he did that. But did I ever have a chance?

My eyes become watery at the thought of him with Kim. God, why do I have to be so fragile? I take a sharp inhale before looking back at the front of this class.
~
When class ends I scurry away like a rat. My feet carry me fast in the halls. My tiny body squeezes between tall students until I make it to the huge doors that lead outside.

Raindrops immediately trickle onto my face and a sense of relief washes over me. Mom's supposed to pick me up today. I walk closer to the street and begin searching for mom's minivan. I know, a minivan.

I spot Kim and Henry already hopping into the minivan across the lot. "Kim! Henry!" I shout over everyone's chattering.

Kim turns her head in my direction smiling. Weird. She turns back to the car, ushering Henry to get in faster. "Wait!" I yell louder, bolting in their direction. The minivan door slides shut and speeds off.

It feels like I've been punched in the gut. Why would they leave me like that? Hell, my mom is in the driver's seat. My eyes sting with tears and I try to blink them away.

Maybe Emma and Abby will answer. I quickly pull out my phone and tap on Emma's contact. It rings until it reaches her voice mail. "Hey, It Emma Hilton! I can't get to the phone right now so, leave a message or, something! Bye!" I click the red button before it beeps.

Abby's number rings for a few seconds then she answers. "Hey girl what's up?" She shouts on the line.

"Hey, Abby? Are you still at school my ride left me," I ask pitifully. I cross my fingers hoping for the best.