Chapter 17 Jackson

"Jackson, you're going to be late. Damn it.." Mom curses pounding her tiny fists on my door. I sigh and pull myself up and out of bed.

The cold wind brushes against bare chest as I unlock the door and push past mom. "Finally.. I've been trying to wake you up forever," she says walking away in her robe and slippers. "You got 10 minutes!" She shouts.

I quickly take a shower and get dressed. By the time I get upstairs my hair is still dripping wet. Moms sitting at the table sipping her coffee with Charlie on her lap.

"Jack!" Charlie shouts, hopping off mom's lap and running towards me. She jumps at me and I catch her in my arms with ease. "Play with me!" She begs, giving me puppy dog eyes.

"Can't," I sigh setting her down on the floor. Her dark hair is in knots and she's still in her princess pajamas, but her green eyes are still sparkling. My beautiful princess.

"Why?" She asks clinging to my left leg. I try to wiggle her off, but she doesn't budge.

"Get off Charlie, I have to go to school," I tell her. She shakes her head no and squeezes me even tighter. "We'll play later," I promise her and she smiles, letting go.

"I love you, Jack," Charlie says running back to mom. I nod and rush out the door. I love you too, Charlie.

I quickly start the car and speed down the street to school. I pop a cigarette in my mouth and puff away. My eyes feel heavy from the lack of sleep.

I find an empty parking spot and grab my backpack off the passenger seat. My shoes knock on the cement ground as I make my way inside the school. I throw my cigarette butt on the ground and stomp on it.

Students share whispers as I walk past. "Isn't he the guy that fought that weirdo at the party?" A girl with short black hair asks her friend. I glance at them causing them to blush.

Mr. Brown welcomes me at the door, but I barely even acknowledge his existence. My eyes stare stair into blondie's blue eyes before I look away.

I drop my stuff on the floor and take my seat next to her. "Hey, I just wanted to say thank you again for the other night," Blondie whispers to me.

I slightly turn my head to her and raise a brow. "Welcome," I say with my raspy voice. She smiles brightly before turning back to the teacher.
~
Lunch rolls around fast and Luke stops me in the hall. "You're coming to eat with us right?" He asks with his classic grin. I nod before we all walk towards the lunchroom.

I don't eat school lunch so instead, I take a juice box. We take our seats at the jock table and I stick out like a sore thumb. Liam pushes his phone in front of my face.

A video of me punching that bastard relentlessly plays on his phone. The asshole's body lays limp on the ground from the first couple of blows, but that didn't stop me from getting on top of him and beating his face in some more. The sound of bones cracking rattle in my eardrums. It felt so good beating his ass. A chuckle escapes my lips before I can stop it.

"You really fucked him up," Liam laughs and slides his phone into his pocket. I shrug and sip from my juice box. My knuckles still have gashes on them, I don't know if it was from his teeth or cheekbones. I took the bandaids off the morning after.

"That's what I've been saying. He needs to join the team," Sam says before digging into his food. I scoff and roll my eyes.

"At least tryout," Henry says injecting himself into the conversation.

"No," I say calmly. If they're going to keep bothering me about this I'm going to beat all their asses.

"I can talk to the coach about giving you a tryout," Luke says nudging me. I internally sigh. My patience is getting really tested.