Chapter 21 Nadia

My feet stomp on the ground as I walk on the sidewalk to school. I stare at the morning frost on the grass and ponder. Dad was too hungover to take me and Fred was still drunk. I offered to take the car, but dad lost his keys. I couldn't help but feel resentment towards the father that I love so much.

Jackson's familiar red car pulls up right next to me and I stop in my tracks. My head switches to him fast and my blueish lips part. His window rolls down all the way so I can hear him.

His curls are dripping wet and a cigarette is poking out the side of his mouth. The chains around his next clink together as he leans forward. "Need a ride?" His raspy voice asks making me swoon.

"Yes, thank you!" I thank him with all the gratitude I have in my body. I rush over to the passenger's side and pull at the handle.

As soon as I sit my body slumps completely. The weather has been getting colder and colder since school has started. Walking was a horrible idea.

Teeth catering, I turn to Jackson who's rolling up his window and carefully leaving a crack so his smoke can escape. He turns the air to blast warm air into the car. "Put your hands in front of it," he instructs me and I comply immediately.

"Why are you walking?" He asks sternly, not even taking a glance at me.

"My dad works early today," I lie, too embarrassed to say the truth. My fingers begin to unthaw and uncurl.

"You could have asked me," he growls. I sniff up my runny nose and press my thighs together.

"How? I have no way to contact you," I retort back at him.

He releases a puff of smoke and sticks his hand out at me. "Phone," he says blankly and I shakily place the machine in his palm.

He momentarily takes his eyes away from the road and punches in numbers before passing my phone back to me. I can my phone and realize he set his number as a contact. Jackson Peter.

"Thank you," I say still staring at the screen.

"Did you eat?" He asks pulling me back into his gaze. His hair seems to be getting drying because of the heater.

"Y-yeah," I lie. I was too busy looking for dad's keys that I never found.

"Lie," he says like a lie detector test. I open my mouth to argue but immediately close it when his fiery eyes meet mine.

I look back out the window to see that we are passing the school. "You passed the school!" I shout pointing at the tall building. "Where are you taking me?" I ask furrowing my brows.

"Food," is all he says and steps on the pedal.

I pull at my long sleeves so I can grip them. This will be the second time ditching with Jackson. The good girl in me is nervous and the bad girl in me is screaming hooray.

I watch trees and buildings wiz past us until we make it to a diner. It's called Ruby's. This dinner brings back so many memories. Mom and dad brought me here all the time before they divorced.

"This your first time in the city?" I question as he pulls into a parking space.

"Yes," he says turning to me. His minty and cigarette breath is like a drug. I nod fulfilled just by his presence. Jackson pulls at the handle and pulls himself out as I watch like a creep.

I kind of feel special. His first time out in the city... is with me. No, that's just silly. He must be hungry that's why we came here. He just picked me up out of pity.

My door gets pulled open and I jump. My startled expression makes Jackson chuckle. He sticks his hand out waiting for me to grab it. I notice something as I put my hand in his. Tiny circles, scars. They look like cigarette burns. Their fading but still visible. I choose to ignore them. I don't want to ruin his good mood.

I grip onto his cold hand as he pulls me up. "Heavy, aren't I?" I joke. He furrows his brows and shakes his head.

"Light," is all he says and shuts my door. He drops my hand and suddenly I miss his touch.

We walk across the sidewalk to the big glass doors. Jackson pulls the gold chrome handle and the bell rings immediately.

Jackson tips his head at me, signaling for me to go inside while he holds the door. The smell of bacon and sweets hit me. It reminds me of when I was little. The seats are still red and the floor is black and white, like a checkerboard.

I scan the booths for an open one. There are old couples and businessmen sat down eating. Then spot a booth. I quickly grab Jackson's wrist and pull him along with me.

I side into the booth as Jackson sits across me. A waiter with a messy blonde bun zeroes in on us and comes our way. She warmly smiles at me and I return the gesture. She looks older with a couple of wrinkles on her face.

"Hey y'all, I'm Cindy! I'm going to be your server today." She says with a western accent and places the menus in front of Jackson and I. "Can I start ya with anything to drink?" Cindy asks pulling out her notepad and pen.

"I'll just have a coffee." I smile at her.

"Coffee," is all Jackson says as he pulls the menu to his face.

"Alrighty, I'll be back with those," she says and skips back to the kitchen.

I scan the menu for something that I want to order, but everything looks good. It's hard to choose. In the end, I decide to order cinnamon waffles with bacon and eggs.

Jackson looks concentrated as he stares at all the options. His brows are furrowed and his eyes are hard at work. Suddenly his eyes flicker to mine. "I can feel you staring," he says with his strong voice before brings the menu up to cover his face.

"Sorry," I say looking away to cover the blush on my cheeks. I wipe my cold, sweaty palms against my thighs waiting for the waiter.

Cindy comes back with two coffee in her hands. "Here ya go," she says placing the coffee cups in front of us. "Now, what can I get y'all to eat?"

Jackson looks at me, wanting me to go first. "I'll have the cinnamon waffles with the side of eggs and bacon," I smile and close my menu.

"And for you?" She asks Jackson after she finishes writing down my order.

"Hash browns, over-easy eggs, and bacon." Jackson grabs both are menus and passes them to Cindy.

"Okay, I'll bring them out when they are ready," she flashes us a smile before walking back to the kitchen.

"What are your grades like so far?" I ask Jackson and tap my foot on the ground.

"A's," he says licking his lips and looking out the window.

My eyebrows shoot up. "Wow, I have mostly C's and B's," I say frowning.

"Are you still going to cheer?" Jackson asks me.

"I haven't been going since the school's assembly. I never wanted to be a cheerleader anyway. So, why would I push myself to do something I never cared about?" I sigh and take a sip from my coffee.

"A little birdie told me that you might be trying out for the football team," I try to contain my smile. I eavesdropped when the guys were talking at lunch.

"Maybe," he says sighing.

"Coach is a nice man. I'm sure he'll see all your potential."

"When I was younger I played on a little league football team. I was seven so I wasn't good or anything, but other than that I've never played a sport before." Jackson sips his coffee as I think hard.

"Casey, a guy on the team didn't have any experience either, but he still got on the team. As long as you know how football works I'm sure you'll get on the team."

Jackson has the smallest smile on his face and I just know he wants to get on the team. He acts like it's not a big deal, but I can tell he's worried he won't. I'll be so happy for him if he makes it.