Chapter 20 Jackson

I've never opened up to anyone that isn't a therapist. And I don't know how to feel about it. It may be weird but I trust Blondie. I don't see her running around and telling anyone. I can tell she has secrets too. She's been hurt before. And when I find out who, I'll kill them. Yeah, I'm crazy.

I've always tried to train Charlie to be aware of people. I don't even like it when she gives hugs to our extended family. I don't trust them anymore. And why should I?

Charlie is a beautiful little girl and men are disgusting. If I'm not protective over her then am I even her brother?

"Do you want one?" Blondie asks pushing a bag of gummy bears in my face. I shake my head no and she frowns. I sigh, taking a couple of cavities and shove them in my mouth. Happy now? Her smile returns and I look away before I get attached to it.

I take the pack of cigarettes that are in my back pocket and sit them on my lap. I can see Blondie eyeing them. "Want one?" I ask curiously.

"Can I?" She asks with bright eyes.

"No," I say blankly. Her jaw drops and a smile reappears.

"I thought you were offering," she says nudging my arm.

"No, I don't think you're lungs can handle it." She has that thing with her lungs. She's crazy if she thinks I'm going to let her smoke one.

"It's fine, I can," she says giving me puppy dog eyes. I shake my head no.

"Not going to work," I chuckle a little.

"It did work with the gummy bears," she argues back and I take defeat.

"No, it didn't," I lie. It did work. Charlie always gives me puppy dog eyes. Let's just say puppy dog eyes to me are kryptonite.

"It totally did, but whatever makes you feel better." Blondie's laugh fills the tiny room and I crack a faint smile.

"Watch your little princess movies and get off my ass," I plead and shove my pink cheeks into her pillow. God damn it. I never blush. I feel like a little girl.

I'm just embarrassed that she pointed it out. "Aww, are you blushing?" She says in a baby voice.

"Leave me alone." My voice muffles through the pillow. This is too much for me in one night. I gotta get home soon and make sure Charlie is in bed.

"Okay, I'm done," she says still laughing. When I pull my face back out of the pillow my eyes drape over her appearance.

Her smile is from ear to ear showing off her pure white teeth and dimples. Her hair is messy and she's sitting on her legs with her skirt riding up. A perfect mess.

I finally look away with a ghost of a smile on my face. A mischievous smirk returns and I grab the pillow and smack her with it. She gasps surprised and smacks me back with her own pillow.

"You are going to regret that," I snarl and completely knock her over with the pillow. At this point, she's laughing so hard. Her smiling and laughing are more rewarding than it should be.

A few minutes later reality dawns on me. "I have to go," I say monotone. She nods and her smile drops.

"I'll walk you out," she says hopping out of her bed and fixing her skirt.

I shove my cigarette into my pocket and follow her downstairs. Her dad and Fred are dead asleep. And a little anger rises in me. How dare they get drunk like this, can't they see how it affects Blondie.

"You going to be okay with them?" I ask seriously. She nods and I raise a brow.

"Yes. Are you going to be okay going home?" She asks concerned. I shrug and she opens the door for me. "See you at school Jackson," she says with a smile.