Chapter 23 Jackson

Smoke pours from my lips as my foot pushes on the petal. My eyes scan the buildings in search of a mechanic shop called Manny's. The GPS told me it's coming up on the right.

A garage with white window-like walls with a sign that says Manny's in red lettering stands at the end of the street. I maneuver my Volvo in a parking space next to a truck I recognize as Manifesto's.

I shove my cigarette and phone into my jeans pockets and slip out of my car. The smell of car exhaust and oils hit me immediately. I didn't expect any different.

One of the huge garage doors is open exposing all the workers and cars inside. I take a couple more puffs from my cigarette before throwing it onto the ground and twisting my heel on it.

Walking closer to the garage, I can hear Manifesto's rough voice inside. "Jackson!" Manifesto calls and motions me to come over to him and a younger man next to him. He looks likes he's in his 20's. Jet black hair, toffee eyes, and strong arms.

"Jackson this is my boy Manny and Manny this is the kid Jackson I was telling you about," Manifesto says brightly.

"Confidential," I say looking straight into Manifesto's eyes then flickering them to Manny's. He sticks his hand out for a handshake. My hand wraps around his and he grins, showing his white teeth.

"Nice you meet you," Manny says gruffly but kind.

"You too," I say taking my hand back.

"I would love to see what you can do. And afterward, I'd like to talk about giving you a job," he says leading me towards a 1994 E280 Mercedes. It's a classic car.

"This car right here keeps dying even when it gets charged. It has a faulty battery. It's not surprising because it is an old car, but I want you to replace the battery and give the car an oil change." Manny instructs me. "This is the equipment you can use, let me know if you need something. Oh, and put on your safety glasses, I don't want anything getting in your eyes." He smiles briefly and walks back over to Manifesto.

My mind twists and turns as I assess the car. In an E280 Mercedes, the battery is located in the trunk of the car, not under the hood. I push on the clear safety glasses and pull on some gloves. Peeling off my jacket and setting it aside, I try to ignore the stares from almost everyone in the garage. They want to know if I can do it.

After popping the trunk I get to work. Removing the spare tire and twisting cables off the battery. I carefully remove the old battery and replace it with the battery Manny wanted me to use. Cautiously, I reconnect the wires and dust off the metal. I set the spare and carpet back into place and close the trunk.

After changing the battery I focus on changing the oil. Oil changes are a piece of cake. I find the oil filter and drain plug and quickly drain all the oil. After tightening the drain plug I add the new oil.

Ripping off the oily gloves and close the hood. Wiping the sweat from my brows I look at Manny and Manifesto. Manny notices and tosses me the keys. Moment of truth I guess.

I swiftly pull open the car's door and twist the key into the ignition. The Mercedes hums healthy and relief floods me. I didn't think I was going to mess up, but I'm sure as hell glad I didn't.

"Good job Jackson. I would be stupid if I didn't agree to let you work here," Manny shakes my hand again like a mad man, and a side of my lip perks upwards.

"Thanks, Manny," I smirk pulling back my hand. It's a rewarding feeling.

"I'll give you two pairs of coveralls, and a name tag when we figure out your hours," Manny says writing a few things down on a clipboard. "Write down your number here so I can contact you." He says pointing at a blank line.