Chapter 4 Nadia

My heartbeat slows as I rest my eyes on an angel. He's tall, skinny with muscles and tattoos up his arms. He has curly dark brown hair. His brilliant green eyes find Mr. Brown.

He stares at Mr. Brown with no emotion. "Guys, this is Jackson Peter. A new student here so, welcome him," Mr. Brown announces. "Jackson sit next to Nadia." My cheeks flare up and I wipe the sweat off my forehead.

Jackson stares at Mr. Brown like he's stupid because he doesn't know who I am. "Right, she's over there with the blonde hair and cheer uniform." The teacher points and me and Jackson looks me up and down blankly.

My heart leaps out of my chest and I realize I haven't been breathing. I suck in a huge gust of air and I know I probably look stupid. No, I know I look stupid.

Jackson makes his way towards me, I mean the seat next to me. He sits and I avoid all eye contact. He smells like cigarettes and mint.

The teacher begins going through the walkthrough of the class and I finally switch my head towards him. "Hey, I'm Nadia," I say rubbing my sweaty palms against my thighs. My stomach is in knots and I feel like I'm going to pass out.

He raises his dark brow and looks at me out of the corner of his eye. He scans me for a second and turns his attention back to the teacher. My stomach drops. Wow-what an asshole.

"The person you sit next to will be your partner for the whole year if you have my class next semester." Mr. Brown informs the class and everyone turns to look at their partner, except Jackson.

Why didn't he say anything to me? Am I smelly? Does my breath stink? Am I ugly?

The bell rings and Jackson gets up coolly, leaving the classroom. I huff and pick up the bag off the ground and sling it around my shoulders. I look at the desk where he sat and notice a notebook. The top of the black notebook says, Jackson.

I quickly push through people and rush to catch up with Jackson. "Hey!" I yell. "Jackson!" I yell again he can hear me but doesn't listen. "Hey, asshole!" I scream once more and he stops walking and turns around eyeing me.

I sweep my hair behind my ear and huff. "At least you know your name." I sigh and walk up to him. His eyes are hard to read with no expression. "You forgot this," I say and hand him the notebook.

The corner of his lip tugs up slightly. He turns back around and begins walking again. What the hell is his problem? Not even a thank you?

Smoke is pouring out of my ears. I'm tired of people being asshats. I walk faster to catch up to him again. "What the hell is your problem?" I shout pulling his backpack so, he can face me.

He rolls his eyes and my breathing speeds up. "Are you mute or some shit?" I ask out of breath.

"No," is all he says.

"The least you could have said was sorry or, hey." I wipe my palms against my uniform.

"Sorry, hey," he says sarcastically and rolling his eyes.

"See that wasn't so hard," I say taking my bottom lip between my teeth. He seems to notice and licks his own. My stomach to twist into knots.

And with that, he turns back around and begins walking. This time I let him. His curls bounce as he walks. I think I won that battle.
~
Lunch rolls around and I search through the sea of people for Emma and Abby. I spot them walking towards the main lunch line. I saw them before 1st period too, but I was too nervous to talk.

I slightly jog up to them. "Nadia!" They both yell in unison.

"Hey, how were your classes?" I ask them.

"Good, but it sucks I don't have any classes with you," Emma frowns.

"I know, I don't have any classes with any of you," I pout. Emma has strawberry blonde hair and she's absolutely stunning. Abby has curly black hair and beautiful dark skin. She's half Jamaican and half Brazilian.

"Well I, on the other hand, had an amazing day," Abby gushes and smiles wildly.

"Lucky," I huff. "I had a run-in with an asshole."

"Who?" Abby asks as we collect food on our trays.

"He's new. His name is Jackson Peter," I say sucking in a huge breath of air. Emma perks up.

"I had English with him in the second period. He's such a hottie!" Emma squeals. "But weird hair."

We sit down at an empty table. I tap my foot in annoyance. "He's an asshole though," I sigh.

"How?" Abby asks, digging into her poor excuse for mash potatoes.

"He ignored me and made me chase him in the hall just so I could give him back his notebook," I explain with emphasis on the chase and his.

"Yeah he is an asshole," Emma mutters. "I hear he was smoking on the school grounds and Mr. Bones took him to his office."

"Getting in trouble like that on the first day is bad news," Abby says shaking her head.

"And apparently he told Bones off." Emma continues, "He's pretty badass if you ask me."

I exhale deeply and begin chewing on the straw of my juice box. I haven't eaten anything besides that banana. But at least I didn't blow chunks.
~
Advisory rolls around and we all go back to our first-period teachers. I walk back up the stairs out of breath to Mr. Brown's classroom.

My eyes dart up to my seat and the asshole next to it. Jackson's curls are in his eyes and he's looking down at something. I set my backpack on the ground and slump in my seat. My eyes dart over to see what he's looking at. I'm slightly confused because he's just looking at his hands. Not even his phone.

Most kids are scrolling through Instagram or, Snapchat. And Jackson is just staring at his hands. I slightly feel bad for yelling at him this morning.

I notice tattoos on his hand. It's like his hand is a skeleton. It's a cool looking tattoo. I've never seen one like it before.
~
After cheer practice, I search the parking lot for Fred. His car is old and rusted, it's not hard to miss. Fred has to pick me up because dad is working.

I don't dare ask mom to take me to dads because I would hate to ride with Kim, Henry, and mom. I don't want to do it more than I have to.

I only have cheer after school Mondays and Thursdays. But today is canceled so, we can rest. And thank god or, I'd start dropping all of the cheerleaders on the heads. I'm based so, I catch all the girls. I can be a flyer, but I rather not. I hate cheer enough.

Fred's car pulls in front of me and I gladly hop in the front seat. "Hey Nad," Fred greets me. Fred is skinny, has orange hair, and a small orange goatee.

"Hi Fred," I say back and rest my head against the window.

"Your dad should be home in 2 hours," Fred tells me and turns down his radio.

I can't hold my eyes open any longer. They close and the darkness relieves me. It's time for my daily nap. My mind goes to a boy with cool looking hair, green eyes, and a bad attitude.