Chapter 39 Jackson

Starring in the mirror I hate the person I see. I wish I was better. Better for everyone around me. I wish I had the chance to restart. But I can't, there's too much hate in my heart.

"Jack!" A tiny voice screams before running for my legs and wrapping her tiny arms around them. She's still in her princess pajamas that I put her in last night. "Happy birthday Jack! Mommy says your seventeen, but you don't look old to me," Charlie says scratching her head.

"I'm seventeen. How do I not look seventeen?" I ask picking her up so I can hold her.

She pulls her lips to the side while she thinks. "Your hair isn't grey and your not wrinkly." She says matter of factly.

"Charlie, that's seventy not seventeen," I chuckle. "But thank you beautiful," I say kissing her on her cheek.

Every year on my birthday my mom shuts down because it's the day before I was taken. She's riddled with guilt and wallows in it. She barely can get out of her bed.

"Are you hungry?" I ask walking her back upstairs.

"Yes, I tried waking mommy up but she wouldn't talk," Charlie says and my blood boils. How could she ignore Charlie?

"I'll make you something. Are pancakes and eggs good?" I ask and she nods.
~
While Charlie eats I make my way to my mom's room. I knock on the big white door, but no response so I let myself in. The room is dark with curtains blocking all the light sources. This is the first time I've been in my parent's room since we moved here.

On the large bed is a big bump of blankets and I know she's hidden under them. "Liz, you need to get up," I say looking at the ball of blankets. No answer.

I move closer to the bed and stand right over her. "Mom you need to get up." But again no answer.

I cautiously sit on the bed and dig through the blankets, but a hang pulls the blankets back up. "Go away," a voice muffles through the patting.

"You're acting like a child. Get up and be an adult. I should be the one hiding in my blankets, not you. Charlie tried getting you up, but you ignored her. She was hungry and still hasn't taken a bath. It's time for you to open your eyes and come to reality," I say hopping off her bed and rushing out of the room.

When I make it downstairs Charlie enjoys her meal. "Is mommy okay?" She asks then sips from her orange juice.

"She's okay, she's just sleeping," I say to reassure Charlie.

Thirty minutes pass and steps are heard down the hall. Mom appears looking refreshed. Her dark hair is brushed out and wet. "Good morning kids," she says awkwardly. I point at the clock signaling that it isn't morning anymore.

When she gets closer she pulls me into a hug. My body stiffens then relaxes. I give her a few pats on her back knowing needs comfort more than I do. "You are right. I need to be a parent. I love you so much, Jackson. Happy birthday," she whispers. I pull away when I feel a warm sensation in my stomach.

"Thanks," I say looking away from her. I get embarrassed. The therapist I had back in Idaho said I have a different love language.
~
At dinner, we sit awkwardly until dad arrives. He had to finish a few things at work today. "Happy birthday son," he says sitting down at the table. He sets a bag that says happy birthday on the table and Charlie is more excited than I am.

"A present! Can I open it?" She shouts, nearly on the edge of her seat.

"It's Jackson's present, you can open one on your birthday," mom says. I wink at Charlie before pulling the contents out of the bag. There's a black notebook and a new package of pens, a shoebox, and shirts piled at the bottom.