Chapter One

I groaned in annoyance as my Grandma shook me awake. I spoke no words, only shook my head up and down to let her know I was up. Ugh, Mondays. Every kids hatred. Except, I'm not a kid. I'm 17, practically an adult. Almost grown. Only 11 months 'til I can leave this nasty city. I can't wait, I think I'll move to Chica-

"Khadijah, get out of bed!" My grandma shouted in her native tongue, Arabic, knocking me out of my thoughts.

I did as I was told. Getting out of bed, I gave my Grandma a good-morning hug. Only God knows how much I love my Grandma. Since neither parents were really involved with me she took on the role of Grandma, Mom, and Dad. She's the only reason I give everything I do 100%. That includes work and school.

Speaking of school, I looked at the clock on the stove which read 6:37. What the hell?! Did I spend that much time in my thoughts? I need to be outside by 6:45! I grabbed a pair of plain blue jeans, and my black and gray Nike Hoodie. Rushing into the bathroom, I hand't even realized I didn't grab a shirt. Oh well, I don't have time to grab one. I quickly did my hygiene, put on my clothes, and did my hair in a messy side braid in less than 10 minutes. The time was now 6:44. Socks and plain black Vans were slipped onto my feet within seconds. With a chocolate chip granola in one hand, and my Jansport backpack in the other, I gave my Grandma a hug before walking out our apartment and down the 3 flights of steps. My best friend, Mary, was waiting for me in her Lexus.

"Hey, girl. No offense but you look like a bum," Mary laughed. I sarcastically laughed back before opening and consuming my breakfast bar. She turned on some music and began driving. Even though I knew she was joking, I couldn't help but look at myself in the mirror, self-consciously. I DID look like a bum. Since I had layers my hair was falling out the braid, I had purple bags under my eyes due to me getting an average of 5 hours of sleep per night, and a pimple was forming on the left side of my chin.

"Dijah, I was kidding, you look fine," Mary said. "I guess," I mumbled back.

"You do! So, speaking of fine, you know Regal High School? Well alot of kids from that school are going here now because of some scholarship or something. I don't know, but the guys are so cute! Theres this one guy named Chris. . . . Oh my god, he's so damn sexy. And he plays basketball like me! AND I don't think he has a girl. I talk to him a little after practice and he's even super sweet."

I laughed at how enthusiastic she was being about this boy, Chris. "Mary, you're so freakin' pretty, I bet he'll like you."

Mary turned her head towards me and shot a quick smile, showing her teeth as a way to say 'thanks.' I wasn't lying when I said she was really pretty. Mary is easily the prettiest girl in school. And the nicest. Also, the richest but shes still extremely down to earth. I can't lie and say i'm not jealous of her. I wish I was half as perfect as she was. Theres no way Chris wouldn't like her back.

We pulled up to the school and got out. Soon we went our separate ways. Mary was extremely popular and I was pretty much nobody, She wasn't embarrassed of me or anything, I mean its not like she would ignore me. But she was in Honors classes while I was in Advanced classes so she spent more time with her other friends.

I made my way to my locker amidst all the cliques that took up the hallways. One group in particular was making a huge amount of noise. I turned my head back to see the basketball players. The Boys Basketball Team was the only winning boys team at our school so it made sense that they were the most popular. In the group, there were 3 boys I didn't recongnize. They were probably from Regal H.S. All 3 were pretty cute, so I wondered which one was Chris.

Someone pushed into me from behind sending my backpack flying. A left hand with a skull tattoo on it grabbed one of the straps and lifted my bag. It was a boys hand. With the right hand he dapped his friends goodbye, then he turned around to me. Wow, he was good looking! His straight, white teeth was the first feature to catch my eye. Then, his big, kissable lips. He also had a nose piercing which normally I would find unappealing but on him it looked fine.

"My fault," was all he said before handing me my bag. He only said 2 words but he deep, gruff, voice replayed in my head. It was definitely a turn on. My face turned a shade darker as we made eye contact. "Its okay, thanks."

He nodded his head and turned to the locker next to mine. YES, that means I would see him at least once a day! Wait. . I still didn't know him name. I wanted to ask but a part of me felt embarrassed. Probably because he was really cute and I had literally no experience with guys. No boyfriend, no first kiss, nothing. I don't want to say something stupid.

I decided against asking for his name. I could just learn it later. Or ask Mary. This boy was obviously popular so she probably already knew him. Once, I opened my locker, the first thing that caught my eye was my face in the mirror. I look horrid! And now the cute boy thinks i'm a bum. Good job Khadijah!

Grabbing books from my locker quickly, I shoved my backpack in the locker before locking it and practically running away. I didn't want the boy to look at me right now. Despite that I turned around to take one more glance at him. I saw Mary and her friends approaching him. Mary put on her million dollar smile.

"Hey Chris," she said before embracing him in a tight hug. THATS CHRIS? I groaned loudly in my head out of both frustration and jealousy. I didn't have a chance with Chris before but now I can't even like him.