Chapter 38

Khadijahs POV

"The Winter Dance is on Friday," Kiana stated.

"So. . ." I trailed off. I don't know why she's telling me that. I'm not really into school dances.

"So, you should go with Chris."

"No, I don't want to. And he probably doesn't want to either."

Kiana scoffed. "Yo, you're so basic. You ain't never wanna do anything."

"Why do you even care?" I questioned.

"Because its real sad that all you do is sit around. You and Chris ever even been on a date?"

"Yeah," I said with a slight attitude.

"Chipotle don't count."

"Yeah, it does," I retorted. She's getting on my nerves.

"No, it don't. See you and Chris a boring ass couple. All ya'll do is sit and fuck at his house."

"Why do you even care?" I asked again. Its not Kianas business what we do.

"Girl, you and that nigga gon' break up eventually. You gonna look back at memories and see that all you did was lay in his bed. Go do something fun!" Kiana encouraged.

I hate that she's right.

"Ugh, you're right," I admitted reluctantly.

"I know," Kiana smirked.

I shot her a dirty look and she started laughing.

"So, should I ask him on a date? Because I don't think he'll ask me. How should I ask him? I never did this before," I said.

"Just be like "nigga take me somewhere." " Kiana suggested.

I started laughing at Kiana. I love how blunt she is.
-
Right noe, I looked kinda sloppy so instead of face-timing Chris, I'll just call him.

"Hey baby," Chris answered.

I immediatly started smiling. Its been about a month since we've gotten back together and its been great. No arguments, no games, and no cheating. The only complaint I have is that we've been so busy with work and school, we still haven't been on a date. I need to do a little shopping. Me and Chris can talk about a date at the mall.

"Hey Chris. Are you busy?" I asked.

"Nah, watchu' need?"

"Can you take me to the mall?"

"Yeah, now?"

"Uh-huh. I'm ready and I'll be outside."

Grandma was sitting in the living room drinking tea.

"Grandma, I'm going somewhere with my friend. I won't take long," I told her.

"You have your phone on you?"

"Yeah, in my pocket."

"Okay honey, be safe. I love you," She smiled.

I walked over and gave her a hug. "Bye, I love you too."
-
First, I got a North Face from Sears. I cringed at the receipt that said $54.99. The job I had at the public library was minimum wage. All the money I made went towards paying the bills. I couldn't afford to keep spending like this. But I need to get a few more items so I'll just think about it later.

"Where now?" Chris asked.

I pointed across the mall to a Wet Seal.

"What you need from here?"

"I need some jeans," I answered.

I found a cute pair quickly. But of course, you have to try it before you buy. I took one of the little number tickets and went into the dressing room. Chris rushed in behind me. Wet Seal doesn't even let more than one person in a room. Chris locked the door and sat down on the small bench. He looked up at me expectantly.

"So you gon' change or what?" Chris asked.

I sucked my teeth. "Chris, get out. You're not even allowed to be in here."

"Ion give a fuck," Chris said with a smirk. He says that all the time!

Well, I'm still not gonna get undressed. I stood there awkwardly waiting for Chris to leave. I don't want him to see me changing.

Chris sighed dramatically and covered his face with his hands. "Better?"

"You're gonna peek," I stated.

Chris started to laugh. "Yeah, you right. But why you so shy now? I done seen you in less anyway."

My face turned a little pinker. He seemed determined to not laugh, so I might as well just get this over with. I quickly slipt off my jeans and grabbed the new ones. Thank god I was wearing a pair of sexy, white lace panties instead of something ugly. I was rushing to put on the pants which caused me to stumble.

"Damn, don't break ya neck," Chris said.

I ignored him. I started doing all the normal poses and routines a girl does in a dressing room to see if something looks cute on her. I decided that these pants were perfect for me! I stripped out of them. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Chris holding up his phone as if he's taking a picture. My neck snapped around so quick.

"What are you doing?" I questioned.

Chris showed me a picture he took of my ass.

"Damn bae you getting so thick. I must be hittin' it right," Chris stated.

"Delete it!" I demanded.

"But dat ass is so fat," Chris pouted.

Even though I would never admit it out loud, I liked Chris saying stuff like that about me. It raises my confidence about my body. Of course, you should also be complimented on your intelligence and personality but at this moment, I felt sexy.

"Just don't show anyone," I warned.

Before Chris could reply, his phone started to ring. After the conversation, he looked upset.

"Who was that?" I asked, putting on my pants.

"My ma. We gotta get home, she said its an emergency," He answered.

We quickly paid and started driving home. I wanted to ask Chris about a going on a date but he obviously wasn't in the mood for that. He was very jittery and anxious. I put hand on his to stop it from shaking.

"Calm down baby, its probably not as serious as you think," I coached.

Chris didn't say anything back. As he pulled into his drive-way, I saw lots of medical people and an ambulance around where I live. Since, I live in an apartment building, I think something happened to one of my neighbors. But I wanted to go in with Chris to see Mama J and to be supportive.

As soon as we got into Chris's house, Mama J put me into a tight hug. We pulled apart and she looked like she was crying.

"Mama, whats the emergency?" Chris inquired.

"Khadijah, honey, you should go home. Me and Chris will come with you," Mama J cried.

I looked at Chris and he just shrugged his shoulders. We walked silently to my home. As soon as I came into view, all of the neighbors gave me looks of sympathy and pity. A young woman dressed in a blazer and pencil skirt, started walking towards us.

"Are you Khadijah?" She asked me. Her voice sounded sad and it was full if somber.

"What happened?" I ignored her question by asking my own.

She took a deep breath before speaking. "I'm a worker at Illionois DCFS. I'm incredibly sorry to inform you about the death of your Grandmother. Your Aunt has been contacted and legal paperwork has been filed in order for her to become your legal guardian. Once you are ready, I will be escorting you to one of our offices to meet your Aunt. If all goes well, you will be moving to Chicago by the end of the week. And once again, I'm sorry for your loss."