Chapter 39

Khadijahs POV

I felt my face get red in anger. What kind of person lies about something like that?

"You're lying! I just saw her!" I snapped.

"Your grandmother was having a conversation with her friend on the phone and they made plans to see eachother. The friend came over and knocked on the door for several minutes. At 6:42 she called the police after still not getting an answer. Inside the apartment we discovered that she died from natural causes," The lady explained.

I felt my bottom lip start to quiver signaling that I was going to cry. "B-but she's healthy. She-she never complained of b-being sick."

"Honey, she was old. Everyone goes eventually," She paused and looked at all the people surronding us. "Would you like some time by yourself inside?"

I trudged into my apartment with Chris and Mama J following me. It was silent and eeiry inside. It seemed like when my Grandma died the personality, liveliness, and vibe of the home went with her. Mama J gave me another tight hug and this time Chris joined in. The lady walked in placing a bunch of flowers and food on the table. There was a lot of notes.

"I'm so sorry baby," Chris mumbled into my hair

The tears burst out of my eyes like lava out of a volcano. The reality is setting in that the only family member I had left is gone. What am I going to do? I don't know how I'm supposed to move on without her smile and hugs.

Its been half an hour but I couldn't stop crying. Mama J and Chris stayed next to me the whole time whispering sweet nothings to me. It was nice of them but nothing and I mean nothing is going to make me feel better. I hate my life. I think I'm a good person. I recycle, I don't jaywalk, and I stand up so old people can sit down. What did I do to deserve this?

The lady kept coming in with platters of food and more flowers. Everything was getting stacked upon one another because the table was full.

"Your Grandma will definitley be missed," The lady said.

"Whats your name?" I croaked out. It was hard to talk after crying for that long.

"My name is Heather."

"Okay Heather so whats gonna happen now?" I asked.

I know she was talking about someone being my guardian but I wasn't really listening. Where will I stay? What about our clothes and items?

"Well firstly, you should start packing up all of your clothes and items that are special to you. Tonight is your last night to sleep here. Since, you are a minor we have contacted your Aunt Miriam who has agreed to be your legal guardian. Tomorrow I will escort you to our office in Chicago. From there, the paperwork will be finished and you will move into your Aunts home. She also lives in Chicago. Everything in this apartment that you do not take will be given to the Salvation Army."

Wow, that was a lot to process. Basically, my entire life is changing. I've lived in this town all my life and now I'm being forced to move. I wanted to cry but I had no more water in my body to cry with. Everything was going great before this happened. Its crazy how your whole life can get flipped upside down in mere moments.

I looked up to see Chris amd Mama J talking to Heather. I didn't even notice they left my side. Chris started walking back to me with a cookie in his hand. My boyfriend Chris! I totally forgot to think about him. Whats going to happen to us? Chicago is 3 hours away and its the middle of Winter. We'll never get to see eachother.

"Here," Chris handed me a chocolate chip cookie.

I took it and started munching.

"I can't believe this happened," I muttered.

"Damn, me neither."

"Can you stay with me tonight?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course. You sure you don't want to be alone?"

Some suicidal thoughts were passing around my mind so I definitley don't want to be alone.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Can you um tell everyone to leave?"

Chris stood up and started ushering everybody out. Mama J came over and rubbed my back in a motherly way.

"Honey, if you ever need anything, don't be scared to call me," She kissed my forehead.

"Thank you so much," I said. She's so nice, I'm gonna miss her.
-
Chris and I silently started packing up things into boxes. It was terrible, looking back at all the pictures and memories we had.

"Khadijah, lets go to sleep. We can finish tomorrow," Chris suggested.

I nodded my head tiredly. I did my hygeine stuff and then Chris went after me. I laid in bed in the fetal position, sniffling. I don't want to cry anymore. Chris laid behind me pressing his warm body onto mine. I kept sniffling because the stupid tears kept flowing.

"Dijah, I hate seeing you cry. What can I do to make you feel better?" Chris whispered in my ear.

This is probably the last time I'll see Chris in a while so we might as well do something enjoyable rather than lay here all night crying. I turned around to face Chris. We engaged in a sloppy kiss as I slipt my hand into his boxers.
-
The next day, I sadly watched the movers pack my stuff onto the U-Haul truck from the window. Pretty much the whole neighborhood was at my house giving their condolences. Even Micheal, Christina, and Karrueche. Seeing everyone was only making me more upset so I sat on the staircase where no one could find me.

"Khadijah!" Someone shouted and started to run to me. Okay, I guess you can still find me. Mary stood there with a pained look on her fa
ce.

"I'm sorry," She said immediatly.
"For never believing you, for the rude stuff I said and for your Grandma."

I didn't say anything. I didn't have any energy to fight and argue with her again. We embraced in a long hug. Now all was forgiven.

Another person started shouting my name. It was Heather telling me that we were leaving in 5 minutes. Mary had already left and since I was alone I decided to go in the apartment. There was some-not too many stuff left. I walked into the bedroom that was completley empty expect for the dresser. In one of the drawers there was a small ring. I remembered that I had won it with her at a fair when I was like 9. Wow, I thought I lost this years ago. I gently kissed it then put the ring in my pocket.

"I love you Grandma. I miss you so much," I said aloud.

I took one last look at my childhood home before walking out.
-
Kiana hugged me one last time. She's been here since seven in the morning helping me pack.

"Talk to me everday! And I'm forreal. Tell me everything about Chicago. Oh and tell me if you see my bae Lil Durk," She smiled. Victor, who was standing next to her, scoffed. I guess they're good again.

I started laughing at Kiana. "Bye, Vic Mensa is cuter anyway. But seriously, I will. I'm gonna miss all our inside jokes." Heather started calling my name. "Bye Victor! And bye Kiana, I love you!" I waved at them.

Standing at the car was the most important person to me: Chris.

He engulfed me in the tightest hug. I laid my head in the crook of his neck, smelling his expensive cologne. Ugh, I never want this moment to end.

"Oh my god Chris, I'm gonna miss you so much," I started sniffling.

"Me too babygirl."

We started rocking side-to-side.

"How is this gonna work?" I asked, pointing from me to him. "We're never gonna see eachother."

"We can talk, text, facetime. I can even drive up there when I get the chance. This is gonna work, okay?"

"Khadijah, we need to go!" Heather shouted.

I grabbed Chris's face and kissed him. Our lips are like puzzle pieces, they fit together perfectly.

"I love you so much," We said in unision.

The engine of the car started up so I quickly jumped in. Time to start my new life.