🌞Chapter 27🌻

🌞🌻

An old woman came the next morning to wake Gulf.

"Are you awake, miss?"

"Good morning," he replied as politely as he could.

"I'm the head maid, McGuyers," the old woman introduced herself, smiling brightly. "Master Mew is so cruel. Everyone in the house is so eager to meet you, young lady, but he heasn't said a word to anyone."

She opened the curtains, allowing the light in.

"I'm Kana Traipipattanapong."

"Miss Trai..." the old woman hadn't understood the name, and seemed at a complete loss.

"Everyone calls me Kana," Gulf said, giving her his other name, not wanting to trouble such a nice woman.

"Shall I call you Miss Kana, then?" the woman asked.

"Certainly," Gulf replied.

She seemed relieved. "Miss Kana, breakfast had been set out in the sunroom."

"Where's the sunroom?" Gulf inquired.

"It's the room furthest to the south on the first floor," the old lady explained. "Once you're read, just ring your bell and I'll take you there."

"Thank you, Mrs. McGuyers," Gulf  said.

"Shall I help you get ready?" the old woman inquired politely. "Master Mew said it wasn't necesaary if you were feeling worn out by the whole experience."

"No, thank you," Gulf hurriedly said. "I'm not used to having people help me like that."

"All right," the man said. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to call me."

The woman bowed politely and left the room.

Gulf changed into a brown knitted knee-length dress. He washed his face at the very antique looking washstand and, when he was completely prepared, he rang the bell for the maid.

The butler appeared instead. He was expresionless as always, revealing nothing of his thoughts.

"Good morning," Gulf said.

The butler conscientiously returned his greeting. The man didn't seem like a bad person at all. Gulf's first impression was that the old servant was difficult to approach, but that was just proof that the butler was English.

"I'll take you to the sunroom," the man said. "Master Mew has been waiting for you impatiently."

Gulf left his bedroom, hurried on by the butler.

The sunroom was a bright room, covered in glass window from floor to ceiling, allowing abundant sunlight to pour in from outside. It was a smaller room and there was no heater, but it was pleasantly warm inside, like a greenhouse.

A small table that seated four had been set for their breakfast.

Mew, already seated, smiled at Gulf.

"Did you sleep well last night?" he asked.

"Yes." Gulf gave Mew a light kiss on the cheek as a greeting and then took his own seat. He thought it was a bold move himself, but it came more naturally than he had expected---that was the benefit of practice. He reveled in Mew's look of surprise.

Once seated, he could see the gardens outside the sunroom's grand windows. Everything he could see belonged to Mew, the Lord Jongcheveevat.

"You should see the gardens in the springtime." Mew said. "It's the only thing I boast about."

Gulf nodded.

February was almost over, but there was still no sign of spring.

The next morning, they hurried back to London so that Gulf could go back to school.

The butler appeared in Gulf's room to take his bags.

"Miss Kana, please take good care of Master Mew," he said, bowing respectfully.

"What?" Gulf was caught off guard by the butler's frank expression.

A sad look crossed the butler's face. "It's been a long time since I've seen Master Mew in such a positive mood."

"I didn't notice him acting very differently," Gulf said.

"That's because it's due to you, Miss Kana," the butler said.

"I'm not so sure about that," Gulf muttered.

He thought that Mew was just in a good mood because the man was having some fun making Gulf cross-dress.

"Were you aware that there will be a family gathering in London next month?" the butler asked, hesitating slightly.

Gulf shook his head. "No, I wasn't"

"I believe some of the family members at the party will make it their business to dislike you," the butler said frankly. "But don't let them discourage you."

"Oh?" Gulf didn't really understand what the butler was saying.

"Whether they're against it or not, we welcome you," the butler continued. "When Master Mew was young, he was a very bright child and his parents had great hopes for his future. But as he grew older, his cleverness became a curse. He began to rebel against his father. It was at this time that his parents passed on, and his life has spiraled more and more out of control since then. Those of us who serve Master Mew pray for his happiness. Everyone is quite glad to see that he's decided to settle down."

"I see..." Gulf murmured.

After a real conversation with the man, Gulf saw that the butler was indeed a good person. He found it difficult to deceive fine people like these.

TBC