🌞Chapter 31🌻

🌞🌻

At last, the door opened and Gulf appeared, his preparation complete.

Mild gasped despite himself.

Gulf was wearing a formal, white, Chinese-style dress with a deep slit up the thigh and no slip. Gold embroidery decorated the silk material. Mew had custom-ordered if from a top designer and set no limit on the price. It suited Gulf's slender body well and made it impossible to believe that he was actually a boy. His black hair was swept up, revealing a coquettish glimpse of the nape of his neck. Perhaps his makeup added to the effect. But there was no mistaking that a beautiful woman cloaked in Asian mystique stood before them.

Mild whispered, "Gulf, you look like a whole new person."

Gulf smiled brightly. "Good evening, Mr. Suttinut."

"Oh, no." Mild waved the name away. "Please don't talk to me so formally."

Mew took one of Gulf's hands, which were covered by long lace gloves, and place a kiss on the back of it.

"Gulf, you are truly beautiful," Mew said passionately, with no trace of his former impatience. The passion of his voice implied that, had Mild not been there, he would have snatched Gulf up in his arms and kissed him.

"Thank you," Gulf lowered his eyes as color flooded his cheeks.

'So Gulf's interested too, eh,?'

Mild let out a small sigh, overwhelmed by the feeling that he had been abandoned. Still, it was uncomfortable. Up until now, it had always been him by Mew's side, no matter what cold looks they had received from everyone who saw them together. Mew himself had wanted him there. But now, it was obvious that he was an intruder.

At that moment, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it. It's probably your driver." Mild, unable to stay in the room another moment, went to the door.

But he was rendered speechless by the unexpected visitor at the door. Instead of the driver, it was a woman with a bearing somewhat similar ro Mew's---itbm was his cousin Yaya.

He had been negligent in not checking who was at the door before opening it. If it had been a terrorist, he could have been killed before he knew what was happening.

"Is Mew here?" The woman smiled seductively. "And have we met somewhere before?"

"Yes, at the late Lord Jongcheveevat's funeral," he replied.

"I remember now. You're Mew's school fiend," the woman said.

"I'm flattered that you remember" The corner of Mild's mouth twitched.

The woman before him was an undisputable beauty. But it was dangerous to judge this woman by her appearance alone.

"Be a drar and call Mew fkr me, would you?" the woman ordered.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not sure he wants to see you," Mild said.

"Well!" Yaya's eyes glared at Mild. She pushed him aside and went into the living room calling out her cousin's name. "Mew!"

"Yaya?" Mew, just coming out to the hall with Gulf looked bewildered by the sudden appearance of his cousin.

"Don't gape like such a fool," Yaya snapped.

"I just had no idea that you would be coming, cousin," Mew said.

"Well, I've been waiting for quite some time for you to extend an invitation," Yaya said.

Mew raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"But I finally got tired of waiting and came over myself. Now then, let's go," Yaya commanded.

"Go where?" Mew asked.

It was only natural that Mew was confused by his cousin's assertiveness.

"To tonight's party, of course," Yaya snapped.

"Unfortunately, I already have a date," Mew said.

Yaya cut him off quickly. "That's not my problem." She seemed to think the world centered on her.

"I'm afraid I can't take you to the party," Mew said.

"So you're going to embarrass me?" Yaya shrieked.

"Embarrass you...?" Mew trailed off.

Mild didn't think Yaya possessed such delicate feelings either.

"Anyway, it's time to go, Mew." Mild nudged his friend. It had only been a waste of time to argue here.

"My father is waiting too. Let's go" Yaya seized Mew's hand and started pulling him out.

"Yaya!" Mew protested.

The woman stopped. "What? Mew, there's a rumor that the queen herself will be making an appearance tonight. Are you willing to dirty the face of the family in front of her?"

Gulf's body stiffened and he clung to Mew's arms, as if begging for his protection. Mild had seen Gulf's face growing steadily paler. It was clear that Yaya was frightening him.

Mew peered at Gulf's face, his eyes narrowing with concern. Gulf looked up at him, eyes shining with worry.

Mew smiled gently and squeezed Gulf's hands lightly to comfort him.

"Maybe we were being too optimistic this time," he said. "But there will be plenty of other opportunities." He then turned to his friend. "Mild, take care of Kana."

Having entrusted Gulf to Mild's care, Mew agreed to accompany Yaya.

TBC