1

Ever since the CDC, our group has been on the road towards Fort Benning, 125 miles. We were all tired, low on supplies, and most important, we were low on people. Our group has been smaller since Atlanta. We lost a lot of people in our camp, and one back at the CDC. My best friend, Dallas, and I were driving Daryl's truck behind Rick's family, the RV, and Daryl, who was leading the pack with his no good brother's motorcycle.

We had been driving for a while, until we came to a complete stop in the middle of the highway, surrounded by abandoned cars. I heard Dallas mutter a few swear words beside me as he got out of the truck, me following.

I saw everyone surrounding the front of the RV, inspecting what went wrong.

"I said it. Didn't I say it? A thousand times. Dead in the water." Dale rambled on about his radiator hose getting shot for the millionth time.

I looked around seeing scattered cars, some flipped over, and some had dead corpses in the seats. Everyone started coming up with things to look for, stuff we needed.

"This is a graveyard." I heard Lori say from in front of me. Everyone's eyes fell onto her.

She turned to Rick, "I don't know how I feel about this." She whispered to her husband. I heard Dallas scoff from beside me as I rolled my eyes. I don't care for Lori. I'll protect her and do anything in my power to keep her from getting hurt but that doesn't change the fact that she's a dramatic bitch. Her husband, Rick, Is ok I guess. He's a good leader, a good man, and keeps all of us going. Dallas doesn't have much to say about Rick, which is a good thing. Lori turned around to glare at Dallas, he just put his hands up in surrender and stalked off, looking for supplies. I followed, snickering along the way.

Dallas and I have known each other since we were 17, we're now 27. We met our Senior year of high school, and have been attached at the hip ever since. We were together when the world went to shit. That's when we met Shane and he took us to the Atlanta camp. And we've been with this group ever since. I don't know what I'd do without Dallas, and every second in this world, I think I'm going to lose him, and I can tell he feels the same way. We don't have a romantic relationship, we're more like siblings than anything else. Except with the occasional flirting he does, but he just does that to keep things interesting. Empty flirting, I like to call it.

We started looking in the cars, occasionally putting some useful things we found into a bag. I was wandering when I felt Dallas pull me down underneath one of the cars, him being right beside me. I look at his with crazy eyes, but he put his finger to his lips signaling for me to shut up. I look up and see dozens of walkers trampling by. I put my hand over my mouth to keep from breathing too loud. Seems like we can never catch a break these days

Once I thought all of the walkers were gone, I hear an ear piercing scream. I crawl out from under the already rusted car to see two walkers chasing after Sophia. Rick is already down the hill, chasing after her. I see Carol trying to run and see if she can see anything, but they were already deep in the woods. Lori held her in her arms as we all stood around, dumbfounded.

That was a sight that threw my stomach for a whirl. the thought of those two walkers tearing apart a girl who was just shy of 12 years old. But what put me at ease was the fact that Rick was down there trying to save her. And, I could only hope that he would do everything he can to bring Sophia back to her mama.

Dallas and I continue to rummage around cars, looking for anything that could be useful for us. Which was most things on this damn highway.

I heard rustling in the bushes from afar. I grabbed my gun slowly and inched up to the railing, seeing if there was anything dangerous out there. I almost jump when I see Rick crawling up the hill like a madman. I would've laughed if We weren't concerned about Sophia. Sophia wasn't with him. I cursed at myself silently and bowed my head.

"Where's Sophia? She's not back?" After he said that, Carol just melted to the ground, defeated that her daughter was now lost in the woods, alone.

I couldn't even think anymore, this was all too surreal, I just wanted to climb into that RV and never come out. But, we had business to do now and that was find that little girl.