Chapter 16

"Dale could-could get under your skin

"Dale could-could get under your skin. he sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honestly is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look to Dale. He'd be looking back at with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't alway read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us- the truth, who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together. Stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety, our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on, we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale." 

Rick's speech left me speechless. Dale's death took a toll on all of us. He was someone special that anyone would be lucky to have in our group. I looked to Rick, who was looking at Dale's grave. Our graves were piling up, I don't know how many funerals I could take. 

The rest of the group were moving into the house. Winter was upon us and we were pretty exposed in the little campsite we had. As we were moving our stuff into the house, I overheard Rick and Hershel talking to Andrea about keeping a close eye on Shane. 

"What's he done now?" I asked dropping in on their conversation. Rick shook his head,

"Nothing for now, but just in case, can you and Andrea look after him." I nodded but Andrea protested. I didn't stay to listen. I knew Andrea was more on Shane's side than Rick's. I felt someone bump into my shoulder, pretending to tackle me. I look and see Dallas. I feel like I haven't had a decent conversation with him in a while. 

"What's going on Dal? Where you been?" I asking nudging him right back. 

"Nothing, man. Nothing. What's going on with you? I feel like we haven't talked in a while." He said keeping pace with me. 

"Yeah, yeah I felt like that too. But I mean we still got each other's back, right?" He nodded his head. Before he walked away he kissed my cheek quickly and went on his way to somewhere. Out of the corner of my eye I see Rick eye us. He walks over to me. 

"Hey, me and Daryl are gonna plan where we're gonna drop Randall off, you wanna going us." I nodded and followed him to where Daryl was. 

"Take him out to Senoia- hour there, hour back, give or take." Rick explained as the three of us looked at the map. We may lose the light, but we'll be halfway home by then."

"This little pain in the ass will be a distant memory. Good riddance." Daryl snarled. I chuckled at his meanness. 

"Carol's putting together some provisions for him, enough to last a few days." Right as he said that we saw Shane pulling up from the dirt road. 

"So, you guys good with all this?" We both nodded. But when we saw Shane, we both decided to leave. I gave a small smile to Rick and walked into the house.