10

I poured everyone, except Hershel, a shot of old gin

I poured everyone, except Hershel, a shot of old gin. The slim one, Dave, sat right beside me. He was cute, but I could tell he was dangerous. The fat guy, Tony, was eyeing me from a far. I just glared.

"Rick Grimes. This is Michelle, and that's Hershel." Rick introduced as he pointed to us.

I saw Rick notice Dave's gun. He suddenly took it out to show him, "Not bad, huh? I got it off a cop."

"I am a cop." Rick replied quickly.

"This one was already dead." He kept this smirk that made me shift. I raised my eyebrows.

"Already?" he just shrugged his shoulders, he knew I knew what he meant.

"You fellas are a long way from Philadelphia." Rick ignored his comment from before.

"It feels like we're a long way from anywhere."

"Well what drove you south?" I asked. he just looked and smirked at me again. I glared once more.

"Well I could tell you it wasn't the weather. I must've dropped 30 lbs in sweat alone down here." I didn't laugh and neither did Rick or Hershel.

"What about you guys?" Rick was the first to answer, "Fort Benning, eventually." Dave sucked his teeth.

"I hate to piss in your cornflakes, officer, but we ran across a grunt who was stationed at Benning. He said the place was overrun by lamebrains." My jaw dropped slightly. If Hershel really did kick us out. We would've had to actually learn the hard way.

"Oddly, the truth is there is no way outta this mess. Just keeping going from one pipe dream to to next, praying one of these mindless freaks don't grab ahold of you while you sleep." I thought about what he said. Deep down, everyone in this room knew it was true. We were just too naive at the time to admit it.

"It doesn't look like you guys are hanging your hats here. You holed up somewhere else?" I was waiting for him to ask that. Rick muttered 'not really'. They talked for a while. I was too busy glaring at Tony to pay any attention to the conversation. He was staring at me like a piece of meat. I rolled my eyes. I saw Dave go behind the bar, looking for another bottle. I stood beside Rick, and had my hand on my gun, him doing to same. Dave noticed this as he put his gun on the table.

"We're just friends having a drink, that's all. Now where's the good stuff." He searched until he found a full bottle of gin and set it on the counter. As he was pouring it, he started talking again.

"You gotta understand, we can't stay out there. You know what it's like." He said making eye contact with Rick.

Rick nodded along, " Yeah, I do. But the farm is too crowded as is, I'm sorry. You'll have to keep looking." Rick said trying to sound sincere.

"Where do you suggest we do that?"

"I don't know, I hear Nebraska's nice." I almost laughed at his comment. Dave snickered.

"Nebraska. This guy." he reached for his gun but Rick was faster. He shot him right in the head, killing him instantly. I swiftly turned around, shooting Tony in the stomach, then in the head. We all stood still, not daring to move. I wondered how long it would take in this fucked up world for me to kill someone. I guess not long.