Chapter 36

"How you doing in there

"How you doing in there." I could sense Carl scowling that he was stuck with the kids instead f helping us fight. 

"I'm alright. I helped Hershel yesterday get some berries. Flu remedy he says." I weakly smiled even though he couldn't see me. "How are you? Dad hasn't sad much about you the times he's came in here."

I sighed once he brought up his dad. I remembered what he told me about Carol. "Yeah I'm fine. Doing the best I can to help everyone that needs it. Including you." I respond hesitantly. 

"You do a lot for this group, Michelle. Maybe sometimes more than my dad. And I'm not saying that to be cruel. You both definitely work better together than apart. You guys just work differently when you guys are alone, is all." He rambled on. I sadly smiled before answering, 

"Proves I'm wanted." Was all I said as I let a tear slip, wiping it away immediately. 

"Well, shoot Michelle. If all you wanted to be was wanted. Congratulations, you got what you asked for."

I laughed lightly, remembering a memory. "That's what Ian said to me one time. It was before all of this. I was taking care of my siblings, all five of them. Plus Frank, my dad. I always thought I was fucking them up, thinking I wasn't fit to be raising 'em. Which I wasn't, but we made the best of it." More tears slipped, me wiping them away before they could leave my face. 

"Um, I gotta go. I'm on watch today." I say standing up, putting a hand on the glass, "I'll be back a little later, if you want me to come. Maybe slip you some comic books." He laughed, "Sure, yeah. I'll see you later." I heard footsteps trail away, signaling it was time for me to go. 

I saw a car driving up, immediately recognizing it to be Rick. I opened the gate rather quickly, him driving past me until he was all the way in. As he passed I saw that Carol wasn't with him, which got me worried. 

He got out,  Running towards me, embracing me in a hug which I returned. "Carl, Judith. Are they okay?" He asks once we pull away from each other. 

"Yeah. Where's Carol?" He continues to ask about other people, "Glenn, Hershel, Sasha?" I nod once more, "Yeah, it's bad, but they're fighting it. Daryl's still not back." He nods and turns to walk back to the car. "Rick, where's Carol?"

He finally stops, walking back towards me. "I had to send her away for what she did to Karen and David. I couldn't have her here with Glenn or Sasha, just in case. I can't have her here with you or the kids." I close my eyes and sigh deeply. Even though what Carol did was wrong, she's a good asset, we need her. 

Rick caught my eye once more, "Do you think I made the right decision?" I stare at him for a second, not really knowing the answer. 

I shrugged, "I don't know. Time will tell. But, you already did it so it doesn't really matter anymore. We'll figure it out. Together." I say looking into him eyes before walking towards the fence where Maggie was. 

Maggie, Rick, and I were clearing out any walkers that were starting to cluster in an area. We put long log up against the fence to keep it up as best we can. Rick had only told Hershel and Maggie. He didn't want Tyreese around when Carol was here. 

Screams and gunshots is all we heard. Both me and Rick looked to Maggie, she continued chopping wood. 

"Go."

"The fence is more important. We need to keep it standing." She protested, still chopping. 

"We got this." I said, that's when she looked at us. "You guys can't do this alone."

Rick nodded his head, "We know, go." She finally took off running as we continued to chop. "I'll be back." Rick ran off, leaving me alone. 

He came back with Carl to help us. "You happy to be out?" He smiles at me and nods, picking up an axe to chop. 

"You think they're okay?" carl asked. 

"If thing were going bad, we would've heard more gunshots. Maggie would've gotten us. We have to do this." Rick responded to his eldest kid. "Let's do it." he says standing next to his dad. I smile and flick Carl's hat up. 

We pt up a few more logs, until we heard the sound of a tree branch snap in half. We rush to push up that part of the fence, but it was no use, the fence was coming down and we needed to get out of here before it did. 

Soon enough, another tree branch snaps, causing the whole fence to cave in. I heard Rick yell for us to run, and that's exactly what we did. We sprinted down the outside corridor, getting to where the guns were. We were gonna take these walkers out. 

Rick quickly explained to Carl how to use a rifle while I stood watch, making sure the walkers weren't coming yet. 

Eventually, the barbed wire came crashing down, where dozens and dozens of walkers cam stalking towards us. We didn't let any get close, we shot every single one down. I saw Carl shooting, protecting his father, I would've smiled at the sight if I wasn't preoccupied. 

As quick as it started, all of the walkers were dead. Every last one of them. I was proud of Carl. He never forgot how to fight while he was playing farmer. He can't do that anymore, not in this world. You can't forget how to fight, or else you'll die. 

In the distance I saw a van pulling up, I had hoped it was Dallas and Daryl, coming back with medicine. 

We both ran over to the car, everyone but Daryl got out. 

"Oh, thank god." I wrapped my arms around his neck, him swinging me around. "Hey, doll." Was all he said before looking at the herd of walkers who were now on the ground. 

"Little trouble?" He questioned raising an eyebrow. I shrugged, "Just a little." 

I'm glad Dallas and everyone else are home safe and sound. We didn't need anymore people dead.