Chapter 22

Lost

Lost. That's what I felt. Was lost. Everyone was silent except the sobs of Rick and the light cries of the baby. If I'm being honest, I wasn't thinking about them, or Lori. I was thinking about Dallas. I clutched the dog tags that hung around my neck. I wanted to scream and cry right then and there, but I knew I couldn't. I had to wait to be alone. I saw Rick get up and pick up the axe he dropped, storming into the cell block. 

We all walked into our own cells except Daryl and Maggie, who went on a run for formula and other things. I sat down on the bottom bunk, Dallas' bunk. I picked up one of his shirts that I saw and brought it to my nose.  It smelled of cigarette's and his cologne. Even in an apocalypse Dallas always tried to smell good. 

I put the shirt down and started sobbing. Wanting to see his face again, wanting to hug him again. And maybe there was still a little hope in me that he and Carol were still alive. Maybe I was just being foolish, though. 

After my little break down, Glenn came into my cell, "Hey, I know you're having a really hard time right now. You lost the one person you thought was going to be around forever. But, Rick's gone off the deep end. He's deep into the prison and we're afraid he's gonna get himself killed. And I know it's not fair of us to ask, but we know you can talk to him better than any of us-" I cut him off. 

"I'll go. Besides it'll keep my mind off things." I started putting my gun and knife into my holster. 

I went walking into the tombs, my gun raised. I was scared to see Rick in his state. I came across every walker that I assumed Rick killed. I heard heavy breathing, and turned around from me was Rick. He had his axe rested on his leg, and he was staring off into space. 

"Rick? Everybody's worried about you. I'm worried about you. you shouldn't be in here. Come on out." He now faced me, and to be honest the look on his face scared me half to death. I walked closer, putting my hand on his shoulder, pushing the fear down. 

"Rick, you don't have to do this all by yourself. Okay? Our cell block is cleared. We'll just close off all the doors again. rick, why don't you just come on out with me? Okay?" I reached out and called his name once more. This time he grunted and pinned me against the wall, one of his arms holding my waist, and the other across my neck. I yelped as I hit the wall, hard. He's never hurt me, ever. Right now I was beyond scared. "Rick, it's me. It's me."

Rick just looked at me with crazy eyes, but once he realized what he was doing, he slowly let me go. And walked deeper into the tombs. I stood up straight and cleared my throat, walking back to my cell. 

a little while passed and Maggie and Daryl came back with a lot of baby stuff.  The baby would not stop crying, until Daryl took her into his arms. Maggie and Beth put together a bottle and handed it to him, he immediately started feeding her. We all stood around and watched with smiles on our faces as we watched Daryl feed the new born. 

Daryl turned to Carl, "She got a name yet?" Carl shook his head, "Not yet, but I was thinking maybe Sophia. Then there's Carol, too. And, Andrea, Amy, Jacqui, Patricia. Or, Lori. I don't know." I put my hand on the kid's shoulder as he leaned against my stomach.  Daryl looked down before speaking, "Yeah, you like that? Huh? Little ass kicker." We all laughed a little bit. "That's a good name, right? Little ass kicker. You like that, sweetheart." 

My heart warmed at the sight of the baby. Even with everything going on, she was the one good thing right now.