Chapter 23

We were all just sitting in the cafeteria, eating silently

We were all just sitting in the cafeteria, eating silently. I look over to Carl, who was right beside me, he hasn't eaten a thing. I just put my hand on his shoulder. He didn't look up or have a reaction to it, though. 

"Everyone ok?" I heard from behind me. I turned around to see Rick walking up to where Carl and I were. 

"Yeah, we are." Maggie said softly. "What about you?" I asked looking up at him. He didn't even look or acknowledge I was there. "I cleared out the boiler block. There was about a dozen or two. I have to get back Just wanted to check on Carl." Glen stood up walking towards him, "Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies. You don't have to." Rick shook his head, "No I do." Then Rick walked over to Daryl, muttering stuff back and forth. As he turned to walk out the door again, he made brief eye contact. I can see guilt in his eyes. I didn't blame him for what he did. He had just his wife he was going insane, I think he still is. 

"Rick." I called his name but he just walked further away. I sat low in my seat, feeling awful for him. 

Daryl, Carl, and I were in the tombs, clearing out any walkers in there. "Check it out, man. Must've missed it last night." I said to Daryl, pointing to a door that a walker was trying to get out of.  "It's probably just one or two of 'em. Don't look they got much fight." Daryl replied, poking the door a little. "They ain't going no where. We'll take care of it on the way back." Daryl whistled to Carl, "Come on."

We started walking in silence for a moment, before Daryl spoke again, "You know, my mom, she liked her wine. She liked to smoke in bed. Virginia Slims. I was playing out with the kids in the neighborhood. I could do that with Merle gone. They had bikes, I didn't. We heard sirens getting louder. They jumped on their bikes, ran after it, you know, hoping to see something worth seeing. I ran after them, but I couldn't keep up. I ran around a corner and saw my friends looking at me. Hell, I saw everyone looking at me. Fire trucks everywhere. People from the neighborhood. It was my house they were there for. It was my mom in bed burnt down to nothing." Daryl told mainly calm, to make him feel better. I just listened quietly. I didn't know much about Daryl's past, and I liked seeing this side of him. 

"I shot my mom. She was out. Hadn't turned yet. I ended it. It was real." Carl said stern but quietly. 

"Sorry about your mom." I heard Carl say quietly. "Sorry about yours." They both nodded to each other, then it was silent most of the journey. 

We came across a walker, we immediately killed it. Daryl walked up to it, and pulled out a knife that was stuck in the walkers neck. "That's Carol's knife." My heart jumped and I got frantic. " Carol's knife? Does-does that mean she could be alive? That Dallas could be alive." He just looked at me, telling me they weren't. I didn't believe him, though. 

I was outside in the courtyard, sitting on one of the benches, just thinking. I heard someone come outside, it was Beth, Carl, Hershel, Rick, and the baby. I joined them in the circle. Not taking my eyes off Rick as he led his daughter. My heart warmed at the sight. I'm glad he was doing ok now.