Chapter 39

It felt like I had been walking for years

It felt like I had been walking for years. Like that was all I knew how to do was walk. It had only been two since the prison fell. I was alone. Starving, thirsty, and exposed. I didn't even know if anyone made it out alive. I had little hope that they did. But I still just didn't know. 

I only thought about Rick and the kids. Wondering if they were alive and safe. I knew Rick had to have been in rough shape. I saw him get shot and beat up by the Governor before we left. 

I came across a neighborhood. Sighing in relief as I realized I could hole up in one for the night. The streets were trashed with newspapers, cans, all sorts of things. One thing that caught my eye was a can of chocolate pudding. I smiled when I remembered Carl telling me his favorite snack was chocolate pudding. 

"Michelle." I stopped in my tracks. Thinking I was hearing things, I slowly turn around to be face to face with none other than Michonne. 

I laugh as I run up to her, embracing her body into my arms. "Oh thank god you're alive." I say crying and laughing at the same time. 

"I am." She says smiling back, wiping mine and her's tears away. "Let's hole up in here for tonight, we'll be safe in here." I say pointing to one of the houses. She nods and we both walk towards it together. 

After clearing the house of any walkers, we settled down in the living room. Laying pillows and blanket on the cot and couch. 

"How'd you get out?" She asks me after swallowing a bite of her dry cereal. "I just ran once everything was quiet. Everything burning I saw the bus leave and I just knew no one else was there. Did you see Dallas at all?" I asked hopefully. 

She shook her head. "Nope, I didn't see anybody. I saved Rick but then I lost him. He was looking for Carl." Was all she said before it went silent once again. 

"I'll take watch. You should get some rest." I say standing up to grab my gun. "You know the place is pretty secure."

"I said I'd take watch." I interrupt her before going out onto the porch to stand guard. It was gonna be a long night of overthinking for me. 

"Michelle. I think we should go." I heard Michonne say as she shuts the door behind her. I grab my backpack from her hands as we walk down the street together. 

"Hey, look." She points to a window of a house. We walk carefully up the porch steps. I held my gun in front of me while Michonne held onto her sword. My mouth dropped once I looked inside to see Carl and Rick sitting side by side. 

"It's them." I say to Michonne, both of us smiling. "Let's go around back." She says as we both make our way around the porch. 

I quietly open the door, stepping in carefully to make sure we don't catch them off guard. 

"Howdy strangers." I say once I get inside the living room. They both shot their heads up to the sound of my voice. Carl immediately runs up and throws his arms around my waist. I chuckled into the crook of his neck before petting his hair. "Hello to you too." I say as I look at Rick, slowly letting go of Carl so he could hug Michonne. 

"Hi." I say before running up to him, careful not to hurt him too much. "Hi." He breathed into my neck as he held onto me tightly, like I was gonna wilt away.

"Where's Judith? Did someone grab her?" I saw them both look down, which made me worried. 

"We found her carseat. Stained with blood." He said trying not to cry. I dropped to my knees, not knowing what to do with myself. Rick immediately comes to my aide quick. I looked at him with stunned eyes, "Gone?" He nods his head as he looks down. 

I look down at my hands, letting a few tears fall. I wipe my eyes and stand back up, nodding my head in acceptance. "I'm sorry, Mich." I shook my head looking at Rick "It's not your fault, you hear?" I saw a few tears fall from his before I quickly wiped them away, pulling him into another hug. I placed gentle kisses all around his face before pulling away. 

"It's good we found each other. No one gets to be alone now." Michonne said from behind us, mostly talking about her and I. We all nod our heads before sitting down on the couch, talking about memories and such. I was glad I had found my family again.