8

It was the next morning

It was the next morning. We were all sitting around the fire, Carol giving seconds to anyone who wanted them. It was just scrambled eggs so I declined. I saw Glenn shift uncomfortably. I didn't think much about it, Glenn was always a bit socially awkward. He decided to speak up anyway,

"Um, guys." This only got a few people's attention.

"So... The barn's full of walkers." He blurted out. I dropped fork I had in my hand onto the plate. I looked at Dallas and his face mirrored mine. everyone was utterly silent. I looked over to Rick. I couldn't quite read what his expression was, but I knew it wasn't good.

We all rushed down to the barn, wanting to see if what Glenn said was true. Unfortunately, it was.

You cannot tell me you're all right with this." Shane snarled, walking towards Rick.

"I'm not. But we're guests here, this isn't our land." I could tell Rick wanted to be respectful about this but, I didn't see any respect in this situation. And deep down he knew it too.

"This is out lives!" He argued loudly, earning a few shushes from people.

"Okay, we've either got to go in there, and make things right. Or we've just got to go. We've been talking about Fort Benning-" Shane was cut off by Rick.

"We can't go."Rick grunted.

"Why Rick? Why?"

"Because my daughter's still out there." I hear Carol speak quietly behind Rick. She was right, we couldn't leave Sophia behind.

I saw Shane getting impatient, I knew he wanted to call off the search long ago, "Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility. "

That's when Daryl jumped in, "I'm close to fining this girl. I just found a damn doll a few days ago!" That's when Daryl and Shane started getting into it. I blanked out for most of it, not really caring.

"Let me tell you something else, man. If was alive and saw you coming. All method out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction!" That's when it started getting physical. Everyone was trying to pull them away from each other while I just stared at Shane in disgust.

Once everyone went their separate ways, I went to go find Rick. He was in his tent, sitting at the table with his head in his hands. He looked up when he heard me enter the tent.

"I don't know what to do, Michelle." He said looking at me with eyes I didn't know. Maybe he was asking me for answers, or maybe just wanting my support. I was gonna give him a little bit of both and hopefully, it'll work. I sat across from him, looking into his eyes,

"You do whatever your gut tells you to do. No matter what anyone says, no matter what your mind says, always go with your gut. In the end, things will all be okay." I said, trying to reassure him. He was silent again before speak once more,

"I'm gonna go talk to Hershel. See what I can do." And with that he walked out. I walked out moments later and ran into Lori. I muttered a 'sorry' and walked briskly away. Seeing her made me want to hide away.

We were all gathered around the front of the house, waiting for something to happen. Shane, Rick, and Hershel were gone. No one knew where they were. Suddenly, I saw Shane walking towards us angrily.

I saw Daryl walking towards him. Shane hands him a shotgun, walking towards the rest of us. He was handing out guns to everyone. Me and Dallas happily took one, but when he handed one to Ian, I stepped between them and pushed Shane's chest a little. He scoffed before giving the rest of the people their guns.

"Time to grow up. Look, it was one thing sitting around here picking daisies when we thought this place was safe. Now we know it aint." Shane has always just made a situation go from bad to worse. Every. Damn. Time. There was more commotion until T-Dog spoke up.

"Oh shit." Oh shit was right. In the distance we saw Hershel and Rick holding walkers on snare poles. Shane was the first to take off running, us following.

"Man, what the hell you doing" he said yelling, but trying to keep his distance from the walkers.

"Are you kidding me? You see? You see what they're holding onto?" Shane pointed to the two walkers on sticks.

"I see who I'm holding onto." Man, this guy was delusional.

"No man, you don't. These things ain't sick. They're not people. They're dead! Ain't gonna feel nothing for them cause all they do, they kill! These things right here. They're the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis! They're gonna kill all of us." Shane was unhinged at this point. Next thing I know he makes a run for the front of the barn door, busting it open. Dallas and I line up with Shane, ready to keep these now lose walkers from hurting our family.

Once the first few walkers came out, we fired. One by one, they were being taken out. There had to have been a couple dozen, or so. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Shane turn to Rick, shooting the walker he was holding in the head. He soon turned his attention back to the barn.

As quick as it came, it was over. Silence fell once again, the only thing you could hear was the heavy breathing of some of us. After a few moments of silence, I heard one more shallow growl come from the barn. I raised my gun, ready to kill whatever came out of those doors. But I wasn't ready once I saw what erupted from the barn.Sophia.

We had spent the last week and a half looking for her. Multiple people either getting badly hurt or killed in the process. Just for her to end up 100 yards away from us; right under our noses. I heard Carol's sobs as daryl cradled her.

After a few moments, Rick was the one who stepped up. I wanted to run up to him and shove the gun out of his hand, so he didn't have to do any heavy lifting. I couldn't move. It was as if my feet were glued the ground. I flinched when the gun went off. I didn't even notice Dallas' arms wrapped securely around me.

We lost another one.