6

We were all surrounded around the Cherokee again, looking at the map

"All right. Everyone's getting new search grids today. If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might've gone further East than we've been so far." Rick explained to us.

"I'd like to help." I looked up to see who was here. It was Jimmy.

"Hershel okay with this?" I asked the young boy.

"Yeah, yeah. He said I should ask Rick." I could tell he was lying, but I didn't really think about it one way or another.

"Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me. Anyone could've been holed up in that farmhouse." I heard Shane speak from inside the car. From the corner of my eye I see Dallas nod his head, agreeing with Shane. I knew that Dallas secretly wanted to call the search off too, that Sophia was probably dead and we should move on. I understood, but I couldn't do that to Carol. She needed closure one way or another. I looked up and met with Rick's eyes. I just sent him a wink and a smirk and turned back to Daryl.

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high." Daryl said, indicating how tall the cupboard was with his hand.

"Maybe we'll pick up her trail again." I said, feeling hopeful.

"No maybe about it. I'm gonna borrow a horse, head up to this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there, I'll spot her." Daryl explained his plan.

"Good idea. Maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there too." T-Dog joked. I laughed at the moment.

"Chupacabra?" Rick questioned.

"You never heard this? Our first night in camp, Daryl tells that the whole thing remind him of a time he went squirrel hunting and he saw a chupacabra." I told the story, trying not to laugh.

Dallas started to laugh, "What are you braying at jackass?" Daryl snapped. Dallas held up his hands in defense and stalked off.

"So you believe in a blood-sucking dog?" Rick questioned once more.

"You believe dead people walking around?" Daryl challenged. I look at Rick who was already looking at me, I just shrugged my shoulder. I saw Jimmy reach over to try and grab the rifle on the car.

Rick was quick to react. "Hey, hey. You ever fire one before?"

"Well if I'm going out I want one." Jimmy argued.

I heard Daryl scoff, "Yeah, and people in hell want slurpee's" He said as he put his crossbow across his back, and walked away to the horse stall's. I snickered a bit at his comment.

"Why don't you come to gun training tomorrow? If your serious, I'm a certified instructor." Shane offered to Jimmy.

Andrea looked at Shane, "For now he can come with us."

"He's yours to babysit then." He said before walking off.

"Ok so Andrea, T-Dog. I want you to go in this area here. put some blue rags against some trees, so we know what grid is which. Me and Shane will take this area. Dallas and Michelle will go in the opposite direction." He gave the plan to everyone and we were all off.

Dallas and I have been walking deep in the forest for about a mile. Nothing was being said, there was nothing really to talk about.

"This is bullshit." Dallas grumbled under his breath. "What?" I was confused as to what he was referring to.

"This whole thing. We don't gotta clue that we're even gonna find her, and if we do she's most likely going to be dead. So what are we wasting our breath and energy for them. We need to stay sharp for the real problems in the world."

I wasn't shocked by his outburst. I knew that how he thought. He only saw one line in front of him and he thought that that was the only way. Black and White, no color.

"Dallas I understand that but Carol needs closure one way or another. We can't even begin to imagine what that woman is going through. Wondering night and day if her babygirl is going hungry or if she's a flesh eating monster. We gotta give her a for sure answer to keep her mind at piece." I tried to explain to him. I knew he'd never understand, that's just the way he was.

"Fair enough, I guess." was all he said and with that, we continued deeper into the forest.

After a while we decided to head back. We hadn't found anything worth looking for. I saw Rick leaning against the Cherokee. Once I saw he was alone, I handed my gun to Dallas and walked over to him. I leaned against to the spot next to him.

"You retiring from the police force, or something?" I joked. He chuckled, then falling silent.

"Everything good between you two?" he said referring to me and Dallas.

I nodded my head, "Yeah, why wouldn't things be good?" I wasn't sure where the question came from.

"Just looked a little hostile, is all. But if you say everything's fine then it must be true." I was going to respond when I was interrupted by Andrea,

"Walker. Walker!" Well, Shit.