Chapter 33

Jackpot  we had hit the jackpot in the store

Jackpot  we had hit the jackpot in the store. It was pretty much stalked up on everything, even the stuff we couldn't use. The place was surrounded like walkers, as if they were guard dogs. I had picked up a camera, some flashlight, feminine products, and a bunch more. 

It was quiet in the store, no walkers around. Almost peaceful until we hear a crash. Daryl, Glenn, Tyreese, Zach and I rush over to see Bob stuck under one of the shelves. 

"Man, my foot is caught." We nodded and stood up, preparing to lift the cabinet up. 

"All right. He's just caught. Come on, help me up." We lifted the first one up with ease, going towards the second one. 

All of a sudden, a walker comes emerging from the ceiling. Only being help up by its intestines. Glenn pulled me back, making sure it didn't fall on me. One by one walkers fell from the sky, like it was raining bodies. Most of their brains splattered once they hit the ground, but some of them still needed to be put down. 

I drove my knife into any walker that came near me. Glenn and I made our way up to a stack of beer, getting a better vantage point in slaying the walkers. 

I saw Zach pulling up the cabinet Bob was still stuck under. Bob getting out successfully. But it was a different story for Zach. A walker grabbed him by the ankle pulling him down, sinking his teeth into Zach's calf. 

"No! Zach!"  I screamed but it was too late, he had been bit in the neck. I felt Daryl pull me to keep moving, before a helicopter came falling down the ceiling. 

The drive home was quiet. I was in the driver seat of the SUV with Glenn in the passenger, and Michonne and Bob in the back. 

"Hey, it's not your fault. You couldn't have saved him." Glenn put his hands on my arm in comfort, but it didn't do much. I shook my head in disagreement, "We should've done something. We could've done something." He didn't respond after that, and removed his hand. 

Once we got back to the prison, Rick was gone. Carl said he had went to check the snares, assuming he'd be back any minute. 

I was putting my stuff away onto the desk in mine and Rick's cell. I'm guessing Beth still had Judith. I put both of my hands on the table, supporting my weight. I started bawling. I couldn't help it. We had lost so many people, and we were doing so good for 30 days. I felt someone's arms snake around my waist. It was Carl. He had put Judith down in her crib, she was fast asleep. 

"Hey." I said wiping my eyes, turning around to hug him back. "I heard about Zach. Are you okay?" I nodded and kissed the top of his head before pulling away. 

"Yeah. I'm just tired of losing people, that's all." I said sitting on the edge of the bed, Carl following in suit. 

"Yeah, me too. But I have something to tell you, and you have to promise not to tell dad." I nodded my head looking at the young boy. He took a deep breath before continuing, "Carol's teaching kids how to use knives. She waits until after their parents leave, them starts on with the lesson. She told me to not tell my father, but, I don't know, I had to tell someone."