Chapter 32

30 days  30 days without an accident

30 days  30 days without an accident. we haven't seen the Governor since the fight, but Daryl and Michonne have been hunting him down. After Andrea, Rick and I decided to bring all the people in Woodbury back to the prison. I thought it was a good decision. 

I was laying on my back staring at the the ceiling of the bunk bed. Rick was asleep next to me, snoring lightly. I haven't gotten great sleep this past week. I don't know why, but it hasn't been great. I looked down to my watch to see it was half after 6. I groaned lightly and wiped my face with both hands. 

I felt Rick, turning to face me with his eyes open. "Still can't sleep?" I shook my head and turned to face him, laying on my side. He grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles, rubbing them slightly. 

"Well, gotta go to the field, Hershel's probably waiting for me." He sat at the end of the bed, tugging his pants on, standing up to button them. He turned around to kiss my forehead. I smiled lazily and sat up, only a thin sheet covering me. 

"I got Judith. I'll drop her off with Beth. I think I'm going on a run today." I said looking at the sleeping baby. I watched as Rick slid on his boots, he turned to me. "Well, be safe. Don't forget to say bye before you leave." I nodded as he leaned down to pet Judith's hair, sending a smile to me before walking out the cell. 

I sighed and sat up, pulling on my clothes I found in a drawer. I saw Judith squirming in her crib, followed by a little cry. I picked her up and saw Beth sitting at the table, making a bottle for the baby. 

"Hey, Beth. How'd you sleep?" The young girl turned her head towards me, giving me a smile. "Good. I'm guessing you didn't." I chuckled and nodded my head slowly. I handed Judith over, rubbing Beth's shoulder as a thank you, and walking outside to get some breakfast. Carol and Patrick were out serving people breakfast.

I got me a bowl of oatmeal and sat down on one of the benches looking out into the fields. I saw Rick and Carl by the pig pen, smiling and laughing while digging up crops. I smiled at the sight. I finished my bowl and threw it in the trash. I walked down the pathway, wrapping my arms around my body, it was a little chilly this morning. 

Carl's back was facing me. As I approached I flicked Carl's hat up, a habit I had. "Hey farmers." They both laughed in response. I went over to Rick and gave him a quick kiss. Carl knows about us. I was more than nervous to tell him. But he seemed more than okay with it, which made me relieved. 

There were some people out on the fence, killing walkers with poles or ends of crowbars. I never wanted to work the fence. I was on the counsel. With Michonne, Daryl, Carol, Glenn, and Hershel. Sometimes Maggie and Sasha join, but not very often. In the distance I saw Daryl loading up for the run. 

"I guess I should go get ready. I'll be back to say goodbye." I nod at the father and son and rushed back to my cell. Grabbing a gun and a knife. 

I made my way the the truck where Beth, Daryl, and a kid named Zach were. Beth and Zach were boyfriend and girlfriend. It reminded me of all of my other high school relationships, it was cute. 

"Damn romance novel." Daryl grunted as Beth walked away from the two men. I nudged his shoulder and put my backpack in the bed of the truck. "You riding with me?" I nodded and started to fill the bed with other people's things. 

"You sure your Prince Charming won't mind?" I rolled my eyes and nudged him once more. He dryly laughed and went over to his bike. There were less people than usual going on this trip. Me, Daryl, Sasha, Glenn, Zach, Tyreese, Dallas, and a man named Bob. I hope on the back of Daryl's motorcycle as he sped down the path. 

We stopped right in front of Rick, Carl, and Michonne. She had to have just gotten back from looking for the Governor. I held out my hand for her to take it, which she complied. 

"well, look who's back." Daryl joked. Michonne's face got serious. "Didn't find him." I knew she was talking about the Governor. Rick and I didn't agree with them going out there. Each day they go further and further out. 

"Glad to see you in one piece." They both grew to like each other. They were like best friends honestly. Never thought I'd see it, with either of them. 

"I'm thinking of looking over near Macon." We all gave her a look, "it's worth a shot." She snarled without us even saying anything. "70 miles of walkers. You might run into a few unneighborly types. Is it?" Daryl questioned. I guess he had grown tired of searching too. But, Michonne wouldn't budge. 

Daryl then turned towards Rick, "I'm gonna go check out the Big Spot. The one I was talking about, just seeing."Rick nodded, "Yeah, I gotta go check out the snares. I don't want to lose whatever we catch to the walkers."

I grabbed his hands, "Be careful, okay?" He nodded and kissed my forehead. Michonne hoped into the gray truck. I waved to Carl which he returned before we sped off towards our destination. 

We waited outside the big glass, Daryl banging on it to see if there were any walkers. "give its second." It was just me him and Zach around. "Ok, I think I got it." Zach broke the silence. 

"Got what?" I wondered what he had to say. I saw him smirk before taking a seat on the ledge, next to Daryl. 

"I've been trying to guess what Daryl did before the turn." I wondered this myself, but never built up the courage to ask him. "Yeah and he's been trying to guess for like six weeks." I giggled at the Archer's response. 

"Yeah, I'm pacing myself. One shot a day." He made up some lame excuse for not getting the answer correct. "All right, shoot."

Zach pondered for a moment, trying to find the right words. "Well the way you are at the prison, you being on the council, you're able to track, you're helping people, but you're still being kind of... surly." I almost laughed at his choice of words. 

"Big swing here." He pauses before answering, "Homicide cop." That's what made me bust out laughing. Never in a million years could Daryl Dixon become a homicide cop. 

"What's so funny?" Daryl asked side-eyeing me. I shook my head with a smirk, "Nothing, makes perfect sense."

"Actually the man's right. Undercover." I held my laughter in just to mess with Zach a little bit. Zach looked at him with disbelief, "Come on, really?"

Daryl nodded, "Yep. I don't like to talk about it cause it was a lot of heavy shit, you know?" I saw him turn his head, a smirk on his face. Zach was still on edge, "Dude, come on. Really?" Daryl turns his head back towards the teenager, looking at him as if he were stupid. 

Zach nodded his head in defeat. "Okay. I'll just keep guessing, I guess." 

"Yeah you do that." I laughed once more at their encounter until we heard a bang on the glass, indicating there was a walker inside. "Are we gonna do this detective?" I said sarcastically as Daryl got up. 

"Let's do it." And with that, we all stalked into the building. We didn't have a lot of good moments like that anymore. It was good to cherish them while you can. But what we didn't know what was going to happen in the store.