Expectations. pt 2

Trigger warning: feeling of hopelessness, depression :]

Technoblade's POV:

Ranboo and I strode in beside each other. My family faced us, hearing the door closed behind us.

"Ahh yes. These are my other sons. Technoblade, heir to the throne and Ranboo."
Dream bowed politely. "It is an honour to meet you both. My name is Dream, heir to the throne of the Kingdom of the Algorithm."
"Thank you sir, it is an honour on our behalf just as much." Ranboo spoke. We bowed in sync before seating ourselves into two arm chairs beside each other.

Dream, Tommy, Wilbur and Phil engaged in deep conversation. Ranboo and I spoke quietly. I told him about the duel and how I was meeting with him later. I noticed Dream was looking at me an awful lot, sneaking peeks every few minutes.

I looked him dead in the eye and smiled at him. He looked back over to Tommy rambling on about some story he had already told as soon as we met eyes.

I think I zoned out for a bit because when I next listened to the conversation thy had completely changed subjects.

"Well, I think we should get you a room Prince." Wilbur stood. "I'll go fetch a servant."
Ranboo spoke up, "No, we can just take him there now. We're not busy."
I nodded and stood up with Ranboo, bowing with him. "It was an honour speaking to you all. Don't bother yourself brother. Sit back down please." I spoke.

Wilbur nodded smiling.

"If you could please follow us Prince." Ranboo stated.

Dream stood up and bowed shortly. Then he followed us out. We lead him to a spare bedroom suite. All the while Ranboo started conversation with the other Prince.

"I hope this'll do fine."
"Yes, thank you." Dream nodded. He glanced over to me. "You really haven't spoken much, are you alright Prince."
I nodded shortly, "What is there to do, if you have nothing to say. It'd be a waste of breathe, as I have nothing to add."

He didn't recognise my voice, thankfully.

I sometimes feel like I'm not meant to be the Prince. I wish I was a commoner, had friends. Wished I wasn't a hideous hybrid freak. Wished I was dead. I've always had my future laid out in front of me, having no say in it. I feel pressured to be this perfect person. I have to wear the right clothes, speak the right way, act the right way. And yet, I'm not good enough, I can never seem to live up to their expectations.

"We will have your luggage brought up here." Ranboo smiled.
"Thank you." He nodded.

Ranboo and I walked side by side away from the Prince. 

"Let's go back to the gardens."
"I wanna go get a book first." I grumbled.

We spent the rest of the day reading in the gardens, before being collected for dinner.

-time skip-

Ranboo nodded to me and gave me a good luck  look. I retreated to my room and locked the door as I always do. I kept a careful eye on the time and around 11:40 I decided I should leave.

I moved my rug aside an lifted up a loose floorboard. There was a box with normal clothes inside. Wearing the nice fancy stuff didn't feel like me. And plus, poor commoners don't wear expensive shit. That's just basic knowledge.

I put on my traveling cloak and hopped out the window. I carefully scaled down the wall into the garden below me. I jumped when there were only a few metres left and hopped over the hedge.

There was barely anyone out on the streets, only drunk men wobbling around aimlessly out of their right minds.

I arrived at the town centre, it was completely deserted with all the stalls gone. I laid down on the ground and stared up at the starry night sky. It was still and calm.

"Hey, I came like you asked."
I looked up to see the face of Dream. "Hey Clay."
"Ok, first you're gonna tell me how you know that."
"How I know what?" I teased.
"My name god damnit!"
"I already said, I know many things. So how's your stay in the palace going so far?"
"It's going well, I met all four of the Princes."
"The amount of people who wish they were in their place..." I sat up. "Come on, I know a place."
Dream looked flustered "What do you mean?"
"Geez, dirty minded much." I rolled my eyes and he pouted.

I grabbed his hand. I lead him to the rooftops, jumping from building to building. Practically dragging him along behind me.

We got to my favourite place. It was a tall building, at least a few miles off the ground, near the kingdom walls. It allowed you to look over everything. I tend to come here whenever I have to calm myself down, empty my head of all the negative thoughts.

I sat down and dangled my legs over the edge, he sat beside me and did the same.

"Wow... It's beautiful up here."
"I know. Not many people know about this place, I come here rather often."
"Yeah, I can see why." He stared in awe around.

"So Clay~" I decided to mess with him a little. "How've you been handsome?"
"I- uh, I've been great. How about you."
"You know how it is, bit of a struggle getting through the day." I shrugged.
Dream sighed "Oh..."

I laid down on my back and rested my head in Dream's lap and looked up at him. I hummed to myself and stared into the sky with him. We spoke quietly for what felt like hours.

"Clay?"
"Yeah?"
"Do you... do you ever wish you were a commoner, or not royal. Like, tired of it."
"Oddly specific but... yeah, sometimes." I looked at the boy staring into the stars. "It can be really stressful at times. I think my sister would be a better ruler than me, but you know how it is. The eldest son has to take over the throne, the stupid sexist stereotype."
"Interesting."

"I am not alone in feeling like this?"

"Do you ever feel like you're not enough, like... there's no point in trying?"
Dream tapped my head making me look at him, "Are you alright- damn, I never got your name."

I smiled at his stupid face, despite him not being able to me, as my hood was shading any light the moon was providing.

"It's Dave."
"Dave, are you ok?"

I let out a long sigh.

"I need to go home, my family will realise I'm out of bed." I tried sitting up.
Dream grabbed my shoulders, in an attempt to make me stay. "Sorry, I- uhhh..." He let go and rubbed the back of his neck.
I grinned. "Tell you what, if you duel me in town again today, same time, I'll talk to you again tonight.
"Sure, I do have to get back to the palace. If they find me missing the kingdom will go into havoc."
"You want me to escort you back handsome?"
"Stop calling me that!"
"Why? Not like I'm lying, I'd never lie to you Princee poo~"

He grumbled and allowed me to sneak him back to the palace.

"I will see you in town today." I saluted him and walked away.

I waited about half an hour before I hopped the hedges and scaled the wall back to my room.

I changed out of the clothes and laid down in my room.

Dream's POV:

I managed to get back to my room without being spotted.

I flopped into my bed. There was something about Dave, he sounded mysterious, passionate, kind. I was worried about him, the things he was saying . I'd have to check on him...

And Techno. I had heard he wasn't too liked by some of the people, seeing as he was a hybrid, but it's unfair on him. Being discriminated against because of something so unimportant, something completely out of his control. Apparently, Ranboo was also shat on by the people. Sometimes this world is so unfair on the nicest people, and favours those who lie and cheat.