▫️River Adventure▫️

💞Trinity💞

I open my eyes as the heavy breathing of the other campers fills my ears and groan in pain, pushing away from the steering wheel. The ache in my body is definitely worse after that. I'm just glad it wasn't a crash that could've put me through the windshield. "Ow!" I hear Ben say and I rub at my forehead.

Bumpy squeals softly and I turn to look at Kenji who looks a little disoriented. "You okay?" I ask him and he nods. "I'm alright."

"Is everyone okay?" Darius calls and I glance back at him. "Is everyone…?" She trails off chuckling without an ounce of humor in her voice before she kicks open the back doors, jumping out. "Yaz, wait!" Sammy gets up and follows after her.

I open my door and get out the others do the same. I look at the black smoke billowing out from under the hood. "I don't think this will be going anywhere anytime soon," I say dejectedly and tuck strands of hair behind my ear. I hear the others groaning and turn to see them rubbing at their shoulders and whatever else hurts.

"We're not okay!" I hear Yasmina shout and turn to see Sammy chasing after her. "Yaz—"

"We're in the middle of a jungle with a monster dinosaur out there, and you…" She turns and gives Sammy an angry look. "You…"  I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand I know I should be furious, but on the other I'm just too damn tired to really care. I ache all over and I really just want to find my dad and make sure he's okay.

"Destroyed our only way to get help and lied about it! I told you guys!"

"So, you did take Brooklynn's phone? Why? What were you doing?" Darius asks, pushing away from the van and stopping beside the pink haired teen. "Probably trying to erase my video of her taking those samples from the Sinoceratops." She gasps as if she suddenly just realized something and starts walking towards Sammy.

"And you knew about the Indominus rex because you were snooping around Dr. Wu's office when I ran into you. I knew it!"

"I didn't mean to destroy the phone. I fell on it when the zipline came down and—"

"But you did steal it? You had it that whole time and didn't tell us?" Ben asks cutting her off as Bumpy basically tries to climb into his lap, oblivious of how serious this situation is. "Hold up. What were you doing in Dr. Wu's office, Brooklynn?" Darius asks her and Brooklynn gets a guilty look on her face.

"I… It doesn't matter. I didn't break our only way to call for help and then lie about it! This is not my fault! This is her fault! She—"

"I'm here to spy!" Sammy blurts out cutting her off and we all stare at her in shock. "For a company called Mantah Corp."

"Mantah Corp? They're a bioengineering company, big rivals with Masrani. They tried to make dinosaurs, too, but Wu beat them to it."

"You doomed us all for some lousy company?" Ben asks angrily, holding Bumpy's head and Sammy wraps her arms around herself, staring down at her boots in shame. "Our ranch was in trouble, so my folks had to borrow a lot of money from some shady people. We didn't know they were fronting for Mantah Corp."

I look down at my bracelet, fiddling with it as a nervous habit. "They said we'd lose everything unless I spied for them. Use the behind the scene access I'd get at camp to gather info from Wu's lab, and DNA from dinos, and whatever else they needed. But then Brooklynn caught on, and I got scared, and then everything went wrong."

I look back up at her and rub at the back of my neck, feeling like I'm going to pass out. "This is the last thing I wanted to happen." Sammy looks up at Yaz who scoffs. "Oh. To be next to a broken van on Killer Dinosaur Island? Hey, me too! What are the odds?"