▫️At Least We're Together▫️

💵Kenji💵

I walk behind the others as we follow after Owen with Trinity still at my side. "How do you feel?" I ask her and she looks up at me through her lashes as she pushes her damp hair out of her face. "Better. I'm just getting a little tired of not being able to go home and let my grandparents know Dad and I are alive."

I stare down at her sadly. My dad probably isn't even breaking a sweat over me. I wouldn't even be surprised if he wasn't even aware of my absence, but Trinny's grandparents must love her so much. I can't even imagine what they must be feeling. Losing their son and granddaughter in one day.

Not knowing that they survived and are fighting like hell to get back to them. "We'll get out of here. Somehow. Okay?" She nods and I hear murmurs coming from in front, looking to see sunlight ahead. We step out of the cave and I squint against the sudden harsh light.

We stop and look out at the miles of desert stretched out in front of us. "Okay, so… definitely not in Costa Rica," Brookynn says and carefully slides down a rock as Owen scans the surroundings. "It looks more like… Australia? No way we went that far, though. Right?" Darius asks as Yaz moves down too, sitting down on a boulder, picking up a rock.

I reach out and press my hand against Darius cheek, looking down at my hand. Are we dead? Is this limbo? "Kenji, what are you doing?"

"Making sure we're not dead. Cause if we're dead, we'd be ghosts, and if we're ghosts, I'd be able to, like… ooh, go through you." I pull my hand away and move my fingers in a "spooky" manner and he smacks it away from his face. "We're not dead!"

"Well, now you know. You're welcome." Trinny chuckles in amusement and I turn to see her roll her eyes playfully making me smile. "So, we know where we aren't," Owen remarks as we move forward. "Any idea where we are, Owen?" Brookynn asks him and he shrugs, eyes sweeping the sand dunes.

"It's mostly desert so it's safe to say we probably won't find anything very useful. Don't know if there's any hostiles inhabiting the island so you kids keep close to me, okay?" We nod and Yaz tosses the rock in her hands. "Great. So we're stranded. And alone. Again."

"Maybe not. If they're people dumb enough to visit Nublar after its evacuation then there could be people here to," Owen says and I nod. "He's got a point."

"Hey, hey, guys! Look at that!" Ben calls out and slides down next to us, pointing out into the distance. "Over there in the distance. Something shiny!" We follow his finger's direction and I catch sight of the sun glinting off something.

"I see it! Looks like the sun is glinting off some sort of metal thingy?" Sammy guesses and Owen nods. "Metal could mean people have been here. Which means we might be able to find something that could help. Nice job, Ben."

"We gotta go check it out!" Ben exclaims and I make a gesture with my hands. "Hang on. You wanna go walking across a blazing hot desert just because you saw something shiny?"

"We have no idea what's out there," Darius backs me up and Owen gives us a look. "And what's right here? Nothing. No food, no water, and the only shelter is a cave. And we can't fish from the ocean cause we don't have any supplies. It'd be just as dangerous to do nothing. Now you can stay here, but I'm going so…"

Owen begins carefully making his way down the rocky outcrop. "Once again he's right," I mumble to myself and the others shrug. "We can at least try," Sammy adds and we start following after the former raptor trainer. We make it to the ground and start heading further in, in the direction of that shiny object.

I look around at all the cacti and barren wasteland. "This place is weird. It's like another planet or something." I gasp as a theory, completely grounded in reality, pops into my head. "Oh, maybe we were abducted by aliens?"